02 - where souls meet

Nailea squints at the ceiling where the lights are positioned to blind everyone in the isle

Nailea squints at the ceiling where the lights are positioned to blind everyone in the isle. The florescent lights gleaming off the product packaging and the speckled white tiles. If only she hadn't left her sunglasses at home.

A sharp thudding pain was already radiating in the front of her skull and she was positive it would form a headache. "How much longer? My head is aching."

"We've been here for all of five minutes squirt. You and Kimmy were the ones who insisted we go now to get the best of the afternoon sales," Jared reminds her with a sigh, both hands occupied with sanitising the trolley handle.

Nailea looks over his shoulders and shares an exasperated glance with Kim over his antics.

"We can't take you anywhere," Kim's voice is slow and baiting, her eyes gleaming with unkept excitement.

Jared glances at her, eyebrows furrowed. "I'm the one that drove, so, I technically took you out."

Nailea begins to chuckle with Kim as her friend pulls her phone out of her skirt pocket with a triumphant grin, the voice recorder showing on the screen. "You heard it here first folks, Jared Cameron finally admits to taking Kimberly Connweller on a date!"

"Kimberly!" Jared hisses, his cheeks flushing as multiple shoppers glance over at the three, having heard Kim's declaration.

Kim dodges him and grasps Nailea by her shoulders, using her as a shield. Nailea giggles alongside her friend, Jared's embarrassment too comedic. Jared walks away from them in a huff, leaving the two still giggling girls stumbling after him blindly.

They catch up to him in the end aisle with the list in hand. Jared likes to have a routine and in the grocery store, the routine is simple. He begins in the last aisle as to stack the heavier and larger items at the bottom of the trolley before going down each aisle until he reaches the cash registers.

Nailea didn't understand why he didn't just go down the aisle he knew he needed an item from but he would remind her how forgetful their mother was. It was better to be safe than sorry, especially with their mother involved.

Topanga Cameron had been working the graveyard shifts at the hospital for the past week and if it hadn't been for her children, she would've been working on an empty stomach. Nailea had long accepted that she would need to grow up in order to help her brother look after their mother around her hectic working hours.

She snaps out of her train of thought as Kim throws a pack of toilet rolls into her arms. She catches them with a huff and a soft pain in her chest where they landed before tossing it carelessly in the trolley. Its position is quickly readjusted by her brother before continuing down the aisle.

The laundry and hygiene aisles were quickly completed with Kim and Nailea throwing the items in the trolley messily on purpose to annoy Jared. Nailea's attention is drawn away from the two's incessant bickering to a young child - no more than four years old- throwing toothpaste boxes on the ground.