04 - where tempers rise

The first bite of the curried egg and lettuce sandwich sends a shiver down the Cameron girl's spine as she swallows wearily

The first bite of the curried egg and lettuce sandwich sends a shiver down the Cameron girl's spine as she swallows wearily. But the second one had her spitting out the chewed mess into the napkin, her stomach turning

"Nailea! People I work with are here, do not embarrass me," Topanga Cameron hisses from the chair seated across the round, plastic table.

Nailea scoffs at her mother beneath the hospital grade napkin's rough surface as she wipes the spit from her mouth. "Can hospitals seriously not afford to throw out expired food? What are taxes and donations used for then?"

Nailea throws the soiled tissue down on her tray in disgust as she reads the use before date only to see it was still in date for a few days. She swallows a sip of water, coughing briefly as the egg resurfaces. "Disgusting."

"For once, can you not complain about something for one minute. You're starting to be as bad as your brother," Topanga retorts, wrinkles forming on her forehead as her tired eyes glare at the disgusted look on her daughter's face. "It's not an attractive trait."

"Like I care about that," Nailea snorts, rolling her eyes in disdain, picking up an apple from her tray instead.

"Then you tell me why your brother has being groaning on about the complete opposite?" Topanga asks around a mouthful of spinach leaves and ranch sauce.

"How am I supposed to know? He a whirlwind of anger these days. I mean, did you see his reaction to the crack in his windshield? He's completely off his rocker," the younger girl changes the topic, hoping her mother wouldn't notice in her tired state.

She quickly realised luck wasn't on her side as her mother narrows her eyes in annoyance. "Nailea, I want answers and I want them now."

Nailea lets out an irritated sigh at her mother's demanding tone as she stares at her mother head on, only for the older woman to turn her head to the side.

The Cameron girl feels her stomach tighten at the action and she grits her teeth to stop herself from unleashing an angry spew of unkind words toward the woman. She should be use to it by now.

After all, her mum was never around when Jared and Nailea were younger because she fell in love with an alcoholic who quit his job the second Topanga Cameron graduated medical school. It was a toss between sleepovers at their grandparents' house for the siblings during Topanga's night shifts and a day out with their father at the Forks Tavern.

Nailea didn't idolise her father per say, but he was her favourite parent even after he left them during Topanga's back to back twelve hour shifts. The Cameron children were left alone for fourteen hours before Jared stuck into their dad's room, expecting him to be still asleep only to find his wardrobe empty and suitcase gone.

The reason she favoured her father was because he could look her in the eyes, whether it be when he was hungover or completely wasted. The act of affection was lost between mother and daughter as the months following her father's departure, Nailea placed the blame on her mother's workaholic attitude.