i. Amber

October 3, 2010;

October 3, 2010;

I am worthy of escaping the flood of thoughts and the negative analysis of the actions and words.

That's what he thought and wanted to believe, he really did but he never had that power to say, 'I believe'. Just like, near the foot of a deity's statue, lie hundreds of coins of wishes and prayer but even if many of those wishes never came true, still every coin represents hope and that's all he had as well. He threw his coin of chance just with a hope that maybe his wish will come true.

Cringing at the sensation he felt as he bit on his Kulfi, he headed towards the same abundant bench that he found on the first day here and found the particular small individual on the bench again.

"So, you come here everyday?" he asked, bending down to her height and looking over her sketchbook.

"Hey! Mr. Creep, you seem to be coming here everyday too. Saw you walking around and clicking pictures yesterday." She said.

He just shrugged at her statement and sat down on the bench.

"You're new here, aren't you? or just came here for holidays?" she questioned, and moved her sketchbook aside.

"How could you tell?" he asked, holding his Kulfi down which was now losing its shape.

She imitated his shrug before continuing, "Just guessing, by your camera and backpack. No resident would come to this dull park with broken pathways and rides, with a backpack and camera unless you're a tourist or actually a creep," she said.

Letting out an amused laugh, "Which one of them do you think I am?" he asked.

"I'd say a creep..." she trailed off as her eyes followed he's movement when he headed towards the trashcan to throw his half eaten kulfi.

"What a waste," she said in a low and disappointed voice but loud enough for him to hear.

"Yeah, it was," he nodded as he got back to his seat. "It tasted horrible."

"You must have gotten it from the very first stall near the entrance of the park," she watched he nod to her assumption and continued, "they have the worse Kulfis but it's nearer so most people, like you, buy it from there but if you want some really good Kulfi then there's a stall outside at the far end corner of the park."

He listened to her talk in an animating way with a sheer confidence in every word. He only met her a few times and yet her forwardness whenever she gets the chance (which she should not do to a complete stranger like himself), made her more earnest than he thought when he first saw her.

He reached over and took her sketchbook, "I see you're still stuck on the same drawing," he looked over her as a visible frown made its way to her face, "couldn't find a distraction?" he asked.

"No, I couldn't. I didn't understand what you meant," she said as she shook her head and looked down, making him instantly regret bringing back the topic of her drawing.

"I meant you can- like-" he stammered as he tried to think of something, "read? You can read a story for distraction-"

"I don't like to read," she said, without letting him complete his sentence.

"Or, can you ask your parents to read a story to you?" he said, suggesting nervously because the last thing he wants to do is deal with a sad kid.

He looked at her as she paused to think about the presented suggestion while drawing shapeless characters on the wooden surface. After a moment, every muscle of her body just froze before a grin crept onto her face and her eyes lit up.

"Why don't you tell me a story?" she suggested with a voice full of hope.

It took he a second or two to let the new offer sink in, "I-"

He was interrupted before he could deny, "I won't call you Mr. Creep anymore if you tell me a story! I'll call you umm..." she paused, poking the back of the pencil on her temple, "... I'll call you Mr. Story-teller!" she said, presenting her full-proof offer.

She looked like someone just poured gasoline on her spark of wonder and he didn't cover his amazement when he stared at her in awe, "I could never miss out on that opportunity!" he said and watched her smile turn into a toothy grin.

"What kind of story would you like to listen to?" He asked.

"Any kind," she said instantly.

"What about a story of a Prince?" he asked and watched her nodding right away.

"Prince and princess?" She inquired.

"More like a story of two princes," he said and studied her reaction when she paused to think about this unfamiliar notion.

"That would be interesting!" she said with a nod when the watch around her wrist started ticking.

"Aw..." she let out a whine and a frown etched itself onto her face, "I have to go now," she said with visible pout. "You'll tell me the story tomorrow right?" she asked for confirmation.

"For sure!" he said with a smile.

...

Hope you all liked the first chapter.
Thanks for reading!