10. Second Wave

It was barely eight in the morning when Bishop pulled her sedan up to the curb, right across the street from where the police van was parked, and a few strides away from the front yard that was beginning to swarm with more curious neighbors and passersby than police officers. Just like the Smiths and the Walkers' neighborhood, any slightest hint of disturbance sparked excitement among the usually quiet community—this corner of the suburbs was no different, she thought.

She flicked the key to the engine off right as she spotted a dark figure approaching her car after emerging from the pale blue house of this morning's center of attention. Fetching her bag from the passenger's seat, she exited the car, throwing the door shut behind her before turning around, finding herself smiling as her gaze fell on the well-suited man walking up to her, then to the red coffee cups he held in each hand.

"I came here as soon as I could." She locked the car and stashed the key inside her pocket. Gilliam lifted one of the cups to her—a peace offering, she thought—and she accepted it without a second thought to it. "Thanks. So, what are we dealing with this fine summer morning?"

"Two bodies—mother and son, one house." The agent took a deep breath then sighed. "How much sleep did you get last night?"

The detective's eyes lifted from the coffee cup's black lid up to the agent's. "What?"

"I could've called but I sent a text instead so I wouldn't disturb your sleep," Gilliam replied flatly, eyebrows knitted together as he stared at her. "You need your rest, detective. We could've done this without you."

"And keep me out of the loop even after I specifically told you not to?" She brought the cup's opening to her lips and tilted it slightly, allowing the hot liquid to pour onto her tongue for just one brief second before her taste buds realized right away that something was wrong. She scrunched her face, almost spitting the liquid from her mouth before drawing the cup away from her, then turned to glare at the agent. "The fuck did you put in this one?" she half-coughed.

"Extra cream and sugar." His voice betrayed what little guilt he had as he casted his glance off to the side. "You've slept for a total four hours maximum, and you expect me to just hand you a cup of black coffee?"

"Are you trying to kill me?" She nodded to the other cup in his hand. "What's in that?"

"Earl Grey." Gilliam sighed again, lifting his head at an angle. "As good of an investigator as I know you are, Detective Bishop, you're no good to us sleep deprived."

She turned to glare at him again, scowling under her breath. "Last time I checked, this was just a mass killing case. All of a sudden, I get a call this morning telling me there's another two bodies to add to our pile, just three days after the first one, and you're expecting me to just sit back, relax and take a nap?"

"I'm asking you to take a breather, detective." He threw a quick glance over his shoulder as if making sure none of the officers, even more so the nosy neighbors, were around within earshot, before turning back to her. "Considering all that's been thrown at you in the past couple days alone, I wouldn't blame you if you asked for time off or took yourself off the case."

"Take myself off—" Bishop closed her eyes, drew in a sharp breath, then blew it out in one go. "I'm fine, Gilliam."

"You were thrown into the deep end less than twenty four hours ago, detective." He took a step closer to her, casting a slight shadow over her face. "If you need to take a break, I won't blame you for it."

"I fought to keep myself on the case, agent," she hissed almost harshly back, glowering at him even despite the slight height difference. "Why would I step away from it now?"