Chapter 7: Forever Falling

My alarm wakes me up in the morning. I really wish I could get out of the armor, sleep in a real bed and not on the floor. I stand up and stretch. 

"Gavin, what's the weather like?" No response. Right, he's with Weiss. Miss that British sounding guy. I reach for my helmet, about to put it on. I decide against it, putting the helmet under my arm. Today we're heading out to Forever Falls, a quaint little forest. We all load onto a bullhead, and Weiss strikes up conversation. 

"S-so... G-Gavin has b-been a t-treat." She said, not even looking at me. I catch an angry look from Jaune. Great... I'm caught up in a love triangle, I think. I mean, it's all one sided, Jaune crushes on Weiss, Weiss on me, me on, well, nobody. Great. 

"Gavin's a good AI. I miss him already." 

"I h-have him u-until Wednesday!" 

"Not saying you don't. And stop it."

"W-What?" 

"That, your nervous. If it'll make you feel better..." I put my helmet back on. 

"No!" Everyone shouts at me. I put my hands up, taking it off. Everyone breathes a sigh of relief. We land and walk out, the forest is nothing like I've ever seen. It's beautiful. I look around in wonder, because nothing on Reach looks this amazing. 

"Yes, students, the forest of Forever Fall is indeed beautiful. But we are not here to sight-see. Professor Peach has asked all of you to collect samples from the trees deep inside this forest, and I'm here to make sure none of you die while doing so. And Mr. Noble, I wish to speak with you before you head off." Goodwitch said, and everyone went off, and Jaune was taken by CRDL. 

"What do you need?" I ask her. 

"We had your vitals and anatomy scanned to see if there's a reason we shouldn't unlock your aura. And we found-" 

"A neurological implant at the base of my brain stem, I know. If I never had it installed, the weight of the armor would break all my bones and kill me in the most excruciating way possible." 

"Oh... well, I'm unlocking your aura now." 

"Ah, whatever. So, is it a surgery... or..." 

"More of a ceremony... no..." 

"An initiation?" 

"No... an activation! That's it!" 

"Alright. So what do I do?" 

"Stay still. Unlocking your aura should be easy, considering your current... past." 

"Right." She puts her hand on my chest, her hand on my head. This isn't awkward at all. A light starts to emit from both of us, and now I'm just confused. Soon it fades, and she opens her eyes. 

"Mr. Noble, your aura is unlocked." 

"And I haven't died in any horrific ways... yet, so I'm off to collect samples." 

"Off with you, then." She shoos me away, so I grab the last jar and walk to a nearby tree, driving the tap into the tree, and the pink sap starts dripping into the jar. It's supposed to be dangerous out, so I put my helmet back on, just in case. 

"Thank gods! I needed to escape her!" 

"Gavin?!" 

"Yes, it's me. Miss me?" 

"Yes, actually. Something I forgot to ask... well, something I only care to ask now, what did you do to Cardin's scroll awhile back?" 

"I downloaded about eight gigabytes worth of gay pornography onto his scroll. I was particularly proud of that one."