6. Lawn Swing

I had no other choice than to flag a rikshaw to get home. I had never ever been in a rikshaw, and I thought I would never have to. Well, life definitely takes a turn. This horrific episode gave me a lot of new experiences that I did not like in the least and I would rather they not happened at all. I took the first one without needing to bargain, I never bargained. Bargaining made me supremely uncomfortable and I wondered how everyone else could stomach it. 

As the driver started the rickshaw and swerved into a main road, cool gusts of wind soothed me to my nerves and I pulled in a long breath. I thought I was going insane, because oddly enough, I didn't feel like crying. Instead laughter seemed to be bubbling at the back of my throat, itching to burst out. Shaking my head, I tried to think straight,  trying to figure out if I preferred solitude or a scene with my father as soon as I got home. But all that my brain wanted to do was laugh like crazy at the whole bizarre situation. 

With years of listening to news headlines about daily crimes unfolding on the streets of Karachi and expressing not more than disappointment at our poor circumstances, I had never imagined and considered the fact that literally anyone could be a victim. Belonging to a rich household certainly didn't mean we're somehow exempted from such misfortunes. Everyone is equally susceptible to fall prey unless of course our government decided to take some action. Until then, prayers were the only thing that could save us.

Although, I thought as I swallowed down my lingering fear and dread, I had to admit, in my case things had turned out miraculously better than expected. 

Gazing out as trees, cluttered buildings and crowded pavements blurred past, I sighed when my mind unconsciously leaned towards solitude and impatiently waited to get back home. 

---

Telling the gape-mouthed guard at the main gate to pay the fare, I marched into the house and did not stop until I was through the driveway, past the lounge where Bisma and Father jumped to their feet upon my sight and up the stairs, until I had locked myself in my room. 

Inhaling in and exhaling out, I tried to calm the erratic beating of my heart and threw myself on the bed. Closing my eyes, I shut my mind off all kinds of thoughts, intending to take a quick nap after which I decided that I'd go to the university campus to get my possessions and my car.

A light knock on the door sounded amidst the quiet of my room. "Mashal?" It was Bisma.

I sighed and responded from the bed. "Not now, please. I don't want to talk, I just want to sleep. I'm tired." 

"Okay." She said and I could sense her nodding. "Later?"

"Later." I mumbled as my eyes drooped. 

And in a moment I was asleep.

---

My life had taken a nightmarish route, leaving me blindfolded on the path to find my way out. I missed five days of the semester, missed the viva and had no hopes of sitting in the exam either. I wondered if they'd ask for a kidnap certificate to validate the situation like they ask for the death one to ensure if the pupil is lying. But I doubted it'd come to that at all, since judging by their previous record and strict policies they don't give a shit should a student collide into a nervous breakdown or commit suicide due to severe pressure of missing an exam. 

But I knew panic would do me no good, so I needed to relax and think with a mind that was not infested by recurring thoughts of the entire episode of abduction and its repercussions, if I cared about my career enough.

Taking a last look at myself in the mirror - I had tied my hair in a ponytail and had applied only the slightest shades of makeup, worn a loose fitting sweatshirt with jeans - I exited the washroom. But just as I came down to the lounge, I saw Ramsha coming in.