10. Night Time Shenanigans

The night sky hung over us with a sense of calm as if nothing in the world could go wrong. I considered it deceiving because there was admittedly a lot going wrong in my life currently. A tender wave of night breeze caressed my skin, producing goosebumps on my bare arms. The sleeves of the shirt I had worn as a nightwear came barely down the shoulder. I was actually preparing to sleep when Aqsa barged into the room, calling everyone for a "talking session" out in the lawn. Hugging the shawl around me, I rested my head sideways on my knees and looked at Ramsha counting on her fingers all the people who had ditched us. Thankfully, it was only us, with no fifth years lingering anywhere near. 

"With Arham these are six freaking morons who couldn't even inform us before disappearing into thin air like that." Ramsha imparted with a sour face as her eyes skirted around the circle. 

"Rumor has it that Arham's in quite a mess, with his parents getting all divorced and stuff." Shazia looked around expectantly, as if to want someone to second the information  she'd just let everything in on. 

"Really?" Several surprised voices arose and a few nodded their heads.  

"I heard that too."

Ramsha turned to me. "Poor chap right? It must be so hard for him to deal with it." 

I nodded. "Hm."

"What about Zubair and Arisha? I thought they said they were coming."

Sarim barked out a laugh. All heads turned to him. "That guy was duped bro. The girl's parents engaged her to a captain and she didn't even protest. Zubair looked devastated."

Oh, thank God, I thought. Arisha was a dear friend from school. Even though new friends in college drifted us apart, we were still on quite good terms. 

"How do you know?"

"He told me." 

"Zubair is a netcase. I couldn't even believe Arisha actually freaking went out with him." I totally agreed with the person who said this. 

"Hey wassup, guys?" A new voice said behind me and Rmasha and I both turned to see, but as my eyes landed on the person next to the speaker a wave of resentment washed over me. He had sauntered in our gathering with some of the fifth years.

I immediately turned back, hoping that he'd go away. 

"Catching up." Somebody replied to the guy.

"Oh come on," the guy laughed, "you study in the same college."

"Just got done with gynae bro, how do expect us to keep tabs on each other with that going on?" Bilal responded.

"Okay, so let's listen to what our juniors are upto. Come on, give us space."

Shit. I kept my gaze lowered as they sat down across from where I sat with Ramsha and Bilal.

"So, who banged who?" The guy I now recognised as the one who not so enthusiastically greeted us at the front door of the house, piped chattily.

"Or who exposed who?" Adil said looking around the circle, his eyebrows raised.

Why was he acting like I didn't exist? Why the freaking hell was he okay with everything that he was doing to me? My temper rose like milk at its boiling point. 

Without thinking through, I bit on my words as I fired at him. "What about who stole from who?" 

For a brief moment he looked taken aback by my outburst but then he instantly composed himself, his eyebrows furrowing in a bad tempered frown. 

Everybody looked between us, trying to grasp what just happened. I felt Bilal's hand on my shoulder and turned my eyes at him. He had his eyebrows raised, asking silently if everything was okay. I shook my head as I heard someone speak up to break the tension.