2

REN'S POV;

194 hours earlier.
November 1, 2001
Chicago, Earth.

Eyes the shade of freshly picked asparagus keenly watch my movements from across the reception desk, dainty fingers fondling the white fur coat draped over her slender, creamy shoulders. A sly smile plays on her blood red lips, so vastly different from my gloss coated ones, and her sultry gaze peruses my frame behind the counter.

“Enjoy your stay.”

I manage a smile as I hand over the credit card to the woman. She gingerly plucks the key from my outstretched palm, her fingertips lingering a minute longer than necessary as she puckers her sensual lips at me, "thanks sugar."

I watch her turn and saunter towards the elevator, wide hips swaying deliriously in a black slip dress which highlights her beautiful curves.

I shake my head when she's eventually out of sight, forcing the thought of the temptress away from my mind.

It doesn't take much longer for Diego - the man who takes over the night shift - to arrive. He is a witty, 5 foot 6 male of Hispanic descent, characterized by his floppy dark brown hair and ears which stick out.

Letting my shoulders relax, I reach back to wrap my hair into a loose bun. I make small talk with him while I grab my bag and give him a pat on the arm as I move to round the counter. “Goodnight Dee.”

He points what I assume to be a stern finger at me but the smile on his lips widens, “don't forget Friday, Marley will give me hell if you don't show up.” It's the little heathen's birthday.

Marley is his seven year old daughter, with her wide set eyes and floppy brown hair, one could say that she is an exact replica of her father. An assumption I had made when I'd first met the duo a year ago, Marley had been quick to set me straight almost immediately though.

Diego is like a soft teddy bear, and Marley is anything but.

With a curt nod and a half hearted salut, I begin to make my way to the hotel's exit.

Cold greets me the instant I step through the door.

Rubbing my hands together, I expel a heated breath, silently chastising myself for not having carried a coat to work today. I wrap my arms around my midriff and begin the brief walk home.

The city night is chilly, with tall buildings standing against the dark sky and the distant glow of streetlights overhead. A crisp breeze whispers through the almost silent streets, carrying the scent of frost and rustling the bare branches of trees.

My steps hasten the closer I get to my apartment, my shoulders sagged and back aching, every inch of me in dire need of a firm set of hands to mold into my flesh and ease my pain.

Too consumed by exhaustion and burning with the need to be smothered between thick blankets in the comfort of my bed, I'm oblivious to the abrupt change in the weather; the moon becoming painted in a soothing hue of light blue and the weird static energy which charges the cool night air.

A harsh gust of wind slapping me in the face is what it takes for me to notice the change of weather. A storm, I think to myself as I pick up the pace to a light jog.

Thunder rumbles in the distance, shattering into a thousand tiny bolts in the night sky- once then twice.

Something deep inside my gut coils at the sound and my heartbeat quickens.

Another strikes, casting the image of a quivering shadow on the wall. “Fuck.” Blindly reaching into my bag for my phone, I dial Diego's cell to warn him about the incoming storm and to check on Marley.

The call is sent straight to voicemail.

My body jolts forward at a small cackle in the air, zinging at the spot behind me and causing me to almost stumble in my haste from sheer shock. A terrified shriek falls from my lips.

My breaths escape in heavy pants, lungs burning as I steer towards the far edge of the path and practically glue myself to the cold walls in search for shelter, yet my pace does not falter.

I almost burst into tears of relief as I near my apartment and shove my free hand into my pocket to pull out my key. I'm already at the front porch, my fingers curling around the cold handle of my door when suddenly, I feel something hit me.

As I gasp for air, a searing pain surges through my chest like a hot knife, making me cry out in agony. The pain seems to radiate outwards, spreading to every corner of my body like a wildfire and leaving me paralyzed. My legs feel like they are made of jelly, and a wave of nausea hits me as my stomach churns.

My entire body trembles, and I feel an odd sensation coursing through my veins like an electric shock. The darkness around me closing in.

My heavy eyelids droop down and I feel a sudden rush of cool air brushing past my face. The world around me seems to fade away as my vision blurs, and my body becomes weightless. And before I know it, I'm plummeting into unknown depths below.

I can't help but think; “is this the end?”

Please vote and share your thoughts ♥️