The Pedestrian

"That was... sad." Mindy mused, in an attempt to fill the deafening silence. The Grim Reaper and Mindy had been walking aimlessly for the past hour or so, after leaving the old soul's apartment building. Neither had said a word to each other. 

Mindy's mind had been overflowing with thoughts. 

Firstly, the old man and his wife had a good life and what appeared to be a great marriage. They were both old, and while it was sad that he died, they must have had spent some quality time together. 

Secondly, they both appeared to have been preparing for this moment for a long time. It was understandable, given their age, to prepare for either one of them to depart first. The acceptance and resignation on their faces gave her some discomfort, but it did seem to end well. 

Thirdly, the light that appeared - what was that? A portal to the afterlife? To heaven? Hell? Chamber of Secrets?

Lastly, the Grim Reaper didn't seem to be that cold of a supernatural being. He helped fulfill the old soul's last request and brought peace to the widow in the end. Maybe he wasn't that uncaring, and could help her return back to life.

"We're here." He said.

Startled, Mindy looked around her. She wasn't even aware they were heading towards any place in particular, but somehow they are now in the middle of a busy traffic intersection in what looks like uptown New York. 

Cars zipped through them both without touching them. It was somewhat surreal to see vehicles moving towards you, then through you, without feeling anything. Mindy didn't really mind this - it felt as though she had a new superpower. 

"What are we doing here?" She asked. 

The Grim Reaper gestured to the side of the road, where a female pedestrian was waiting for the traffic light to turn green. "Alison Greene, 34, traffic accident." 

"Wait, she dies? Can't you save her or something? She's not dead yet!" Mindy was aghast at his indifference. A perfectly healthy woman was about to die and he was just waiting for it to happen. The Grim Reaper shrugged.

Mindy rushed towards the woman and waved her arms. "HEY, YOU! YOU NEED TO GO! RUN!" 

The woman gazed through Mindy, unable to see or hear her. Her 'superpower' didn't seem that 'super' all of a sudden. Mindy looked towards the onslaught of fast cars and back towards the lady. It was obvious how this was going to happen. Either this Alison steps off the curb too early, or a car stopped too late. 

Then, it happened. It was almost as if it was in slow-motion. The lights had just turned green, and Alison stepped off the curb. One step. Two. Then the car hit her. 

Alison flew through the air and landed like a rag doll. The car screeched to a halt. 

People started gathering around the body. Some had their phones out, recording the incident. A couple of them were dialing for an ambulance. No one noticed the Grim Reaper strolling calmly towards the body. 

Mindy rushed towards the body. This was the first time since her death that she felt a sense of urgency. This woman was going to die unless she did something!

The body laid on the ground, motionless, with the face turned towards the heavens. The eyes were still wide opened, but Mindy could only see the glass-like look in her eyes and nothing beyond. 

A white mist was slowly wafting off the body. Something was happening. 

Mindy backed away from the body - this was something new to her. The old man's body didn't give off this ghostly ethereal cloud. The Grim Reaper's hand found its way to Mindy's shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze that Mindy found annoyingly reassuring. 

The mist slowly condensed into the shape of Alison. Features and colour slowly made its way into her face, body and even clothing. 

So... This was how a soul is formed. Mindy felt notably perturbed by it. It didn't seem right to her that no one else in the crowd could see the mist and soul, and everyone was still focused on the prone husk of a body lying on the ground.

The soul of Alison seemed to gain consciousness, and at the same time, confusion. Then, she saw the body on the ground, and horror crept into her face. 

The Grim Reaper approached the soul. "Hi Alison. You are dead. I am here to help." 

Seems like that's his opening script for everyone, Mindy mused silently. Why, did you think that line was just for you? Her inner voice teased. 

The soul gawked at the both of them - a tall dark menacing hood and his (comparatively) short companion, both staring at her. 

"No, no, no, no, no. This can't be happening. I'm dead? I can't be dead!" The soul was rambling. 

The Grim Reaper extended his hand to the soul. "Yes, you're dead. But I'm here." 

The soul studied the hand, her eyes full of distrust. "No. I want to stay. I can't die yet."

Mindy felt sorry for the soul. She was, after all, in a very similar situation a day ago, and could empathize. 

The Grim Reaper was now furrowing his brows, concentrating on something. 

All of a sudden, the world swirled around them and the three of them found themselves in a nicely finished apartment. Mindy was still taking in the surroundings when suddenly, there was a rattle of keys at the front door, and a very-much-alive Alison walked in to the room. Soul-Alison stared at live-Alison, who didn't seem to notice them at all. 

Live-Alison set her handbag down on a table, then her head perked up. There were voices coming from the bedroom. Mindy had no idea how, but she could feel live-Alison's confusion within the room, her heart beating faster, and her curiosity. 

Slowly, live-Alison treaded lightly towards the bedroom door. Soul-Alison and Mindy followed closely behind.

The door was slightly ajar, and live-Alison took a peek into the bedroom.

Without looking, a vision of what live-Alison saw suddenly appeared in Mindy's mind. It was a naked young brunette woman, snuggled against Alison's husband in their bed. Mindy suddenly felt a wave of anguish, followed by betrayal. Was this what Alison was feeling?

Mindy's eyes started to well up with tears. This feeling of bleakness was something she had never experienced before, not at least to this extent. It made her want to run away and leave this place behind. 

Out of the corner of her eyes, she could see soul-Alison on the floor, weeping openly. Mindy could taste the salt of her tears, could feel the heartache in her chest, and one word - Why - reverberating through her mind. 

The world swirled again, and suddenly Mindy found that the three of them were back at the site of the car accident. Barely any time had passed.

The soul looked up towards the Grim Reaper and a look of understanding passed between them. She took his hand, and looked visibly calmer. The bright light appeared again, this time in the gap between buildings leading to an alley. The Grim Reaper and the soul walked towards it, and the soul passed through into the light.

Mindy's feet couldn't move. She was still shaken by the feelings that Alison had, and the weight of betrayal was still deep-seated in the forefront of her mind. 

The Grim Reaper returned to Mindy's side and stood for a moment, silent. Then he said, "It's the only way they will pass on willingly. An unbearable pain from this world."

For once, Mindy and her inner voice could not think of a response.