Three

To say that Jennie is nervous would be an understatement.

She's freaking out.

Inside, of course. Outside, she's grasping Lisa's hand under the dinner table, trying to find the strength to put into her mouth at least a tiny portion of the massive amount of food that her mother prepared with thorough detail.

She peeks at Lisa and realizes, just by the way her mouth twitches, that she is as anxious as she is, pale and slightly sweaty, and she wonders whether it was a good idea to bring her to her house to have the conversation lingering in her throat.

Lisa notices that she is looking, of course. How could she not, after eleven years of knowing each other and a whole full year of being together. She can practically read the shortest girl's thoughts, the insecurities floating in her mind, and she swallows in silent determination before squeezing her hand once.

They can do it. If it goes well, it will be something to celebrate. If it goes wrong, Lisa will be there to gather Jennie between her arms. It's all that matters to her, really. Jennie's happiness. Their relationship.

All the rest goes second.

The shortest girl pulls some strands of her hair behind her ear. She listens as her father makes a comment about the sauce. She pays attention at her mother commenting on the quality of the fish. Lisa talks softly here and then, filling odd awkward spaces, and Jennie has never been so grateful of her comforting presence as much as she is in that moment.

When dinner is over, and her mother is already giving her questioning stares over the clean table, the shortest brunette feels like she can't take it anymore. She clears her throat, visibly uncomfortable, and is slightly relieved when Lisa squeezes her thigh in a sign of support.

"We are actually here because... We want to tell you something. I want to tell you something".

Her parents stare at her with cautious expressions. Jennie's mom grasps the napkin in front of her but fixes her eyes in her daughter's vulnerable figure.

"We... are girlfriends. We've been together for more than a year now".

There is a beat of silence. Jennie feels Lisa's hand still squeezing, expecting. Her partner stays quiet at her side but very much ready to intervene.

"What?", the shortest girl's mother spits out, and she flinches in reaction.

She knows that tone of voice.

"We are girlfriends", she repeats, feeling her courage quavering before her parent's looks of disbelief, "We are in love", she clarifies, stronger.

Lisa nods once, with absolute security.

"In love? How can you be in love? You are friends. What kind of joke is this?"

Jennie's mom is speaking frantically while her husband stays at her side, his agreeing silence almost as hurtful as the spiteful words escaping from the woman's mouth.

The shortest brunette feels cornered, her tiny body trembling with the sudden realization that she is going through the worst case scenario she has practiced for a thousand times but feels unable to face now that is taking place.

Seeing her girlfriend in plain distress, Lisa decides to speak.

"We are in love, Mrs. Kim. We fell in love and now we are together".

The woman's face fixes in the tallest girl's calm expression with pure hatred shading her eyes.

"Shut up. This does not concern you".