Chapter 1: Basic

The annoying beeping of my alarm wakes me up. I groan as I roll over and turn it off, glaring at the screen. I see the date and sit straight up, instantly hit with nervousness. I've been waiting for this day, but now that it's here I just want to pull the blankets over my head and escape the entire day.

"Don't lose it now, Marlee," I tell myself. "You can do this."

I can't but maybe I can pretend I can. I toss aside the blankets and head towards the bathroom. I shower and return to my room where I dress in a cute flower-patterned top, jean shorts, and my favorite pair of worn tennis shoes. I stand in front of the mirror inspecting myself. My brown eyes stare back at me. I decided to put my thick black hair into a ponytail because it's less likely to fly everywhere that way. I sigh at my reflection not at all pleased with it, but there's not much I can change about that.

After making a hasty attempt at tidying my bed, I put my school books and notebooks into my backpack and head downstairs. My mom is in the kitchen, sipping a cup of coffee and scrolling through her phone. She is already wearing her scrubs. She's a nurse. I grab a mug and pour myself some coffee, needing the boost of energy.

"Hey," my mom says setting down her phone. "How are you feeling about today? I know it's a big deal for you to be trying out for the cheer squad."

I dump milk into my coffee. I want the caffeine, not the taste.

"I'm really nervous," I say. "I know I've worked all summer for this, but I'm afraid that I'm going to make an idiot of myself."

I drink from the milk heavy coffee, wishing the day was already over.

"I'm sure you're going to do great. I saw you practice and I know you can do it."

"Thanks, mom." I pause. I want to ask her how she's doing. I can see the faint red in her eyes. I can tell she was up late last night crying. It's been two years since my father died, but she still misses him so much. I do too.

"How are you doing?" I ask.

She turns away, pretending to get another cup of coffee when the one in her hand isn't even empty.

"I'm fine," she said. "You know how it is. I miss him."

"I do too."

She smiles at me but its a little sad. Outside, a car horn honks noisily.

"That's Tori," I say. "I love you."

"I love you too. Good luck today!"

With a nervous smile, I wave goodbye and head for the front door, picking up my backpack and gym bag as I go. Tori is leaning out the window of her yellow jeep. Tori is my best friend. We've been best friends since third grade. Sometimes I don't know how we are so close when we're so different. She's beautiful, bubbly, and can't help but attract attention. Where I would rather read a book in a secluded corner.

"Lee! Are you ready to become cheerleaders?!" She asks.

I roll my eyes at her. She has blonde hair and blue eyes, already making her the ideal version of a cheerleader.

"We still have to try out," I say as I climb into the car. "We might not get to be cheerleaders at all."

She pulls the car away from the curb and zooms towards school.

"You can't think like that," she says. "We worked all of summer to make this happen and I'm not going to let negative thoughts get in the way. So throw your negative thoughts out the window."

You would think she was joking, but she's not. She's just like that, all positive thoughts and optimism. Because she's my best friend and I love her, I roll down the window and pretend to throw my negative thoughts out the window.

"Now that's a lot better. We are going to become cheerleaders and people will know who we are."

"People already know who you are," I say because it's true. You can't forget someone like Tori.

"Then they'll finally know you. And we will rule the school."

I roll my eyes again. That's not likely to happen.

"In other news, did you hear about Jacob Alvarez coming to our school?"

"Who is that?"

Tori gives me a shocked look. "How do you not know about Jacob?! He is only the hottest guy to ever live! He's Amber's cousin and was at her party. I showed you pictures."

I vaguely remember. I do remember Tori going on and on about his good looks but that's what she does for almost every guy.

"Apparently he was kicked out of his other school for fighting and now he has to transfer to our school, so yay us!"

I'm not sure how that is good for us. Who needs another guy with anger issue problems? Doesn't sound like the type of guy I would like, but I'll probably never meet him so that's one thing I don't have to think about.

Tori pulls the car into the school parking lot and parks. I jump out, my nervousness turning as I think about the long day of classes I have to make it through before I can get this tryout out of the way. I grab my backpack and gym bag and walk with Tori towards the school front doors. Our school is the classic ugly brick and windows combo. Noise halls and red lockers. As we walk inside, the first bell rings. Tori waves goodbye to me and heads off to history, while I turn in the opposite direction.

I'm still two hallways away from the first period when the second bell rings. Not wanting to get a late slip, I start to run. I round a corner and crash into something solid, flying backward. When I look up I realize I didn't run into something but someone. And not just anyone, but Jacob Alvarez. I have to admit it, Tori wasn't lying. He's hot. Like really hot, like cut my hand on his jawline, drown in his dark eyes type of hot.

"I'm sorry about that," he says helping me up.

He's strong, his muscles on full display with his t-shirt. He smells like mint and something musky. He keeps an arm around me, making sure I'm steady. His dark eyes wipe all my thoughts away. He smiles and I forget how to breathe.

"Are you okay," he says.

I blink and swallow, trying to make my throat work. I nod.

"Grine."

Jacob looks at me confused and I want to disappear. Did I just try to say great and fine at once? Eloquent and clumsy, yup I'm never going to become a cheerleader.

**********************************************************************

Keep going to read the rewrite chapter and see the differences!