Chapter 8

A month had passed since Rose confronted Scorpius at The hog's head. It was relieving to let the truth come out though she wished she had told him that it's not relevant anymore and how much she appreciated him as a friend. She had tried to talk to him afterwards but every time she did he'd run off. Like he feared her.

Valentine's was coming up. Rose wasn't really planning on doing anything, except spend some more time with Polly, since it was on a school day. Polly however had announced that she had a little surprise for her later at dinner. After their final classes she grabbed Rose's hand and lead her to wherever they were going. 

"Wait... Is this what I think it is?" Rose said once they reached the blank wall where a door appeared. 

"The room of requirement. Yup", Polly said as the door swung open.

The room was decorated with candles and roses here and there, but not overdecorated. There was a dinner table for two in the middle.

"You didn't have to-"

"Yes I did!" Polly protested. "You deserve this after all the pressure you've put on yourself and I wanted to do this for you."

"You're too sweet", Rose said and kissed her lips.

Food appeared on their plates as soon as they took their seats, which Rose assumed was a deal Polly had made with the house elves, who now were paid for their job.

"Can I ask you something?" Rose said in the middle of their dinner date. "What do you think is the legit age to get married?"

Polly swallowed her plant beef. "You want to marry me already?" she asked.

"Oh no! I mean maybe someday", Rose made it clear. "I mean in general. What is the most common age to marry?"

"Doesn't it depend on the couple? Twenties, thirties, forties. Some even wait until they're seventy. And not to mention age gap couples."

"So twenties", Rose said. "Have you ever heard of someone under the age of twenty get married?"

"I mean it happens. Why?"

"Well... I think this is meant to be a secret but..." Rose began, slightly uncomfortable to talk about Scorpius. "Scorpius wants to propose to Albus on his birthday. He told me before I confronted him."

"Did he say anything about when he wants to marry him? I know most couples get engaged years before marriage."

"That... fair enough. Though he sounded like he wanted to marry him immediately."

"What would you say if I proposed to you? Right now", Polly asked.

"I..." Rose began but didn't know how to finish. 

"You said you wanted to marry me someday right? What would you say if I asked you now?"

"I'm not ready to make that decision yet", Rose explained. "You can't put that pressure on me. You know how I like to take things slow."

"Or maybe I'm not the one for you, is that it?" Polly questioned now very upset.

"You know that's not the case! I told you when we started dating that I'm not... I'm not like Yann or any of your exes."

"Yann is my only ex!" Polly pointed out. "And the main reason I fell for you was because you're not like them."

"Well. Then I'm sorry if I couldn't live up to your expectations", Rose said and looked at her unfinished plate. "I'm not hungry anymore."

"Oh no, I'm sorry", Polly said once Rose was on her feet.

"Give me a break", she said before leaving.