Chapter 8

I am roused from my pseudo-slumber by a gentle knock on my bedroom door. Sleep eluded me after my earlier self-indulgence, and I had instead immersed myself in the intriguing world of BDSM relationships. The more I read, the deeper my curiosity grew. Rising from the bed, I approach the door, and there stands Zane.

'How can she engage in passionate encounters at midnight and still appear at my doorstep by 6:30 am?' I wonder, forcing a smile as she greets me.

"How are you, Mrs. Zama?" she inquires, entering my room.

"I'm good, thank you. And how are you, Zane?" I respond, managing a polite smile.

"I'm good too, thank you. I am here to help you prepare for your breakfast with Mr. Mbangi," she announces, making her way to the bathroom. Questions swarm in my mind about what I witnessed earlier, but Zane's innocence seems incongruent with the scene.

When she finishes preparing my water, she returns to the room. "Your water is ready, Mrs. Zama," she says, and I nod, following her to the bathroom, mentally bracing myself for the hot water that awaits.

As she assists me, I decide to delve into the enigma that is Zane. "May I ask you something?" I query.

"Of course, anything," she responds, looking up at me.

"Why are you here?" I press.

"I don't understand," she admits, confusion etched on her face.

"Was it your decision to work for Mr. Mbangi?" I clarify.

"Yes. When I got out of school, I needed a job and a place to stay. Mr. Mbangi's company hired me to clean his office, and from there, he offered that I come and work for him here," she explains. My curiosity deepens.

"And how is it working for Mr. Mbangi?" I inquire as she continues with her task.

"It's a nice job, and the pay is nicer. I enjoy working for Mr. Mbangi. May I ask why you ask all of this?" she wonders, running the sponge over my arm.

"I just want to know the person that helps me get ready, that's all," I reply, attempting to hide my real motives.

"How is your stay here so far?" she questions, and I offer a noncommittal shrug.

"It's ok, I guess. It doesn't feel like a prison," I respond, and she nods in understanding.

"Have you ever been in that room of his at the far end?" I probe further.

"Yes, I have," she admits, and I study her face for any hints.

"Has he ever used his toys on you?" I ask, curious.

"Yes, he has," she responds, washing my back with the sponge.

"And how is it? If you don't mind me asking, of course," I press, intrigued.

"It's nice, nothing like I ever imagined," she chuckles.

"What about your boyfriend?" I inquire.

"I don't have a boyfriend, Mrs. Zama," she laughs.

"You're a beautiful girl. Why don't you have a boyfriend?" I question, puzzled.

"Between my job here, I don't really leave the house enough for me to have a boyfriend," she explains.

"What about your boss? Would he allow you to date?" I probe.

"Mr. Mbangi and I have an understanding, an agreement. I'm free to do as I please with my life outside work," she assures me.

"May I say something?" she ventures.

"Of course, you're free to say whatever you want, Zane," I affirm.

"I don't know why you are here, but I don't think you'd ever meet anyone who will treat you better than Mr. Mbangi ever will. Maybe he does not think himself capable of love, but I think he would fall in love with you; else, he wouldn't keep you here this long," she offers.

Frowning, I admit my confusion, "I was sold to him."

She chuckles, "Even so, I've seen the way he looks at you, Mrs. Zama. How he treats you, and I think I can safely say that you are in safe hands."

Helping me out of the water, she continues, "Uhhhmm... thank you, I guess."

"Is there anything specific you would like for breakfast? Mr. Mbangi said he has quite the activities planned for you and him," she mentions, and I furrow my brow at the unexpected revelation.

"Activities?" I inquire, feeling a sudden unease.

"Yes, you and him are going to go to the gym and then go out shopping," she explains.

"He never said anything of that sort to me," I express my surprise.

"He said I should help you get ready," she informs me. I walk to the sink to brush my teeth while she drains the water and cleans the tub. Wrapping a towel around my body, I return to the room and find Zane making my bed.

"Thank you."

.

.

To Be Continued