Chapter 19

"So, tell me about how you met your husband," I inquire, my tone filled with curiosity and a hint of playfulness.

She chuckles, a soft, melodic sound that reveals a hint of nostalgia. "Gosh, where do I even start?" she says, her cheeks flushing with a rosy tint.

"Well, the first time I met him was at my parents' house. I had just gotten back from New York, and he was there with my mom, all flirtatious with her. I met him again at a gym nearby my area, I think. He was a cocky jerk."

I laugh along with her, finding amusement in the shared memory. "I think that's probably why he and Sipho get along, maybe," I jest, and she nods, still smiling.

"Probably so. Anyway, he told me straight up that he wanted sex from me, and he wasn't going to stop pestering me until he got what he wanted. Honestly, it revolted me that he would speak like that to me, you know? I mean, the man before him was a gentleman who would have never spoken to me like that. Anyway, he sent flowers that morning to apologize. According to him, he sent every flower that was available in the flower shop except lilies, since I'm allergic, and every other flower that was near the lilies."

She giggles, remembering the gesture. "That's very cute and a sweet gesture as an apology," I comment, and she nods.

"Yeah, it was very cute, and he definitely got my attention because after the flowers, he and I went out on a date. His terms were that we bang, and if the sex ain't good, then he'll cut his losses and leave the city."

My jaw drops at the revelation, and she nods, confirming the audacious proposition. "Yeah, I know. I suggested that if the sex was whack, then we cut all ties. He didn't have to move, but the sneaky bastard knew that it would be lit. He was too cocky, and he still is."

We both share a laugh at the memory. "But you're happy with him. You seem happy," I observe, noticing the genuine happiness reflected in her expression.

She turns to gaze at her husband, and a soft smile plays on her lips. "He saved me. I am happy."

I frown, intrigued and a bit confused. "He saved you?" I inquire, seeking clarification.

"There was a time where my baby daddy and I fixed things. He respected me and gave me space, and he stayed away. When I lost my husband and 2 kids while pregnant with triplets, he was there," she reveals, dropping a bombshell that leaves me wide-eyed.

"I'm sorry, what do you mean you lost your husband and kids?" I ask, a mix of shock and sympathy in my voice.

She shrugs nonchalantly. "I mean just that. I was married to Bandile Tshawe, don't know if you've heard of the name or surname."

Recognition dawns on me. "Now I know where I know you from. After Bandile's death, you literally went off the radar," I recall, and she shrugs.

"I did what I had to. Losing your husband and children while stuck in a hospital bed pregnant with his children, and then you find out that he's dead and his ex is responsible for his death, you are bound to go off the radar," she explains matter-of-factly.

"I guess so. I'm sorry for your loss," I offer my sympathy, realizing the gravity of her past.

"It's okay. Anyway, that happened. Khaya came into my life when I was going through the most. During that time, I allowed myself to wallow in depression, I allowed myself to be sucked into a deep dark hole, but he pulled me out. He said a mouthful that didn't make sense at the time, but after a while, it made sense. He made me see that sitting on that bed and being depressed was not good for me and the babies I was carrying, so I needed to get my ass off that bed and start living again."

I smile, touched by the tale of resilience and support. "That's really cute; he seems like he worships the ground you walk on," I comment, genuinely happy for her.

She giggles. "I think he literally does, hey. That man would die before anything happened to me and the kids."

"So, did you and him ever have kids of your own?" I inquire, curious about the progression of their relationship.

She sighs, a hint of sadness in her eyes. "No, after the triplets, we tried, but because of what I went through with the triplets and almost losing them, I couldn't have kids again."

I look down, feeling a pang of guilt for delving into such personal matters. "I'm sorry for asking," I express my regret.

"It's okay. He's been loving and supportive. I thought that maybe at some point he'd want a child or come back with a child elsewhere, but nope, he's still the same way as he always been and loves me like never before. He treats the triplets as if they were his, and it helps that they grew up with him in the picture."

A warm smile spreads across both our faces. "You're fortunate to have a man that loves you like that. Some of us can only dream of such love," I reflect, acknowledging the rarity of such profound connections.

She chuckles. "Sipho seems to love you."

I laugh sarcastically, dismissing the notion. "Sipho is incapable of love."

She shakes her head, challenging my perception. "Nobody is incapable of love. Sometimes you just need the right person to bring out a certain type of love buried within you."

.

.

To Be Continued