PROLOGUE

"Momma!" A five year olds shouts are heard as the door to a small home is opened

A beautiful blonde woman smiles widely as she kneels down and holds her arms open for the little boy to run into.

The boy sprints into her arms and wraps his arms around her neck. "I missed you momma."

"I missed you too baby." She smiles widely and kisses his cheek. "Were you good for your uncle?"

The little boys eyes widen and he nods his head frantically. "Yup. Pwomise."

"Jace!" An older males voice is heard from across the home.

The woman raises an eyebrow at the boy who suddenly holds a shy smile. A brunette haired man walks into the living room with soaking wet clothes as the woman attempts to stifle her laugh.

"Would you like to tell your mother or should I?" He questions unamused.

Jace looks down at the floor with a trembling lip. "I-I didn't mean to." His eyes water as he looks up towards his mother expecting her to be angry or upset with him. The very last thing he ever wanted.

Much to the five year olds surprise she was glaring at the man with a fierce look and engulfs the boy into a motherly hug. "Don't apologize baby. It's okay." She cooes. "He is just being a meanie."

The scenery suddenly begins to change into the little boys bed room. Screams and sounds of struggle can be heard as he slowly stirs awake.

The familiar woman bursts into the little boys room with wide frantic eyes. Once she spots the tired boy she sprints towards him with tears in her eyes. "I'm so sorry baby."

"Momma what's wrong?" The boy shouts as he flinches back as another scream is heard in their small home. "What's happening?!" He cries out.

Her eyes dart towards the door every couple of seconds as she holds a seraph blade in her right hand. "Mommy loves you so so much." She whispers painfully. "Which is why you have to go with uncle."

With out waiting for a response she grabs his hand with her unoccupied one and begins rushing them out of the room.

Half way down the hall a large man jumps in front of them wearing a malicious smile, making Jace scream in fright. "Valentine has been waiting a long time for this, his punishment for you is going to be entertaining. Your son, will be killed in front of your eyes." He laughs.

The woman immediately pushes Jace behind her legs and holds her glowing blade out. "Valentine will never have my son." She spits out in anger before launching at the man.

Their blades clash together as Jace watches with tears streaming down his face. Crying out for his mother when he watches the man slice her stomach.

But hearing her sons cries only encouraged her more. Within seconds she was thrusting her blade into the mans chest, she kicks his body away from her blade and grabs Jace. "Mommy! You're hurt!" He sobs uncontrollably.

"Shh. Everything will be okay." She cooes and urges his to continue going.

Once they reach the kitchen where the familiar man is mercilessly killing a circle member, his mother shouts. "It's time!"

"Take him and leave! Let me do this for you!" He begs the woman with tears springing his eyes.

"You know what we have to do." She whispers sadly, knowing the little boy couldn't hear her during all of the chaos. When she realizes he wasn't going to listen she demands.

"You will to take him to Magnus and erase all of his memories of me and then take him to the New York institute after you warn Jocelyn!" She demands, covering up her real emotions like a true shadow hunter.

"I don't want to leave you!" The five year old Jace shouts as he clings to his mother. "Please don't make me leave." He pleads.

She picks up the little boy and painfully bites her lip to hold back her tears. "I will do whatever it takes to protect you. Even if I can't be there. And if one day you find out the truth, just know that everything I did was to protect you." She gasps as she tries to reign back her emotions. "I love you so much. You are everything I could've ever hoped to have. Me and your father are so proud of you."

With one last kiss on the head she shoves the boy into the mans arms as another wave of circle members burst into the house.

The woman now holds two seraph blades in her hands as she waits.

"Let me help you!" The man croaks out as he keeps a tight hold on the boy struggling to leave his arms.

"Leave!" She shouts. "Leave before it's too late!"

With great difficulty the man manages to leave his long time best friend with Jace in his arms as they both cry.

Jace wakes up with a loud gasp as he wipes the sweat from his forehead. Having the same dream for the past couple of weeks he's gotten used to the sudden awakening and cold sweats. The bags under his eyes are proof of that.