ONLY THE BEGINNING

• • •

• • •

Kade Lightwood walks into the New York institute with a charming smile. Though if anyone were to actually study him for long enough they'd notice the way his eyes darted everywhere in nostalgia and sadness before covering it up almost immediately.

"Kade." Maryse Lightwood greets with a small smile as she gives the man a side hug.

"Maryse." He nods stiffly. She notices and sighs inaudibly.

"You've been gone for years. So I'm guessing your return has to do with the circle returning as well." She sums it up with pursed lips.

"I told you all fourteen years ago that they never left." Hes quick to remark at the woman. "Yet no one listened. And look at where we are now." He sends her a sarcastic smile. Though Maryse could see the pain in his eyes.

"We didn't-" she's cut off by the calm yet furious voice of Kade. "Yes we all know you didn't think it was possible. And now you and the clave have screwed everything up. At least tell me you kept her promise." He glares at her.

Maryse looks down in guilt and nods her head solemnly. "He doesn't know."

"I also heard that Clarissa Fairchild is aware of the shadow word now." He says with a roll of his eyes.

"Very recently, yes." She confirms.

"Where is Jocelyn?" He says coldly, noting the way his sister in law studied his reaction.

"She's been taken by Valentine." Maryse speaks up, watching as the mans whole body tenses.

"He's been in New York this whole time." Kade whispers to himself as he painfully screws his eyes shut. He failed his best friend.

"Where is Jace Wayland?" Kade suddenly questions the woman whom he knows is the boys play in "mother."

"He's with Clary, Alec, and Isabelle on an unsanctioned mission." Maryse grits out angrily.

"I'm going to call Magnus." He waves get off as he begins to walk away.

"After all these years you want to finally tell the truth." Maryse observes. "Why?"

"I already failed her by allowing Jocelyn and Clary to be found." He states. "He needs to know the truth before Valentine can sink his filthy claws into him."

Dialing a number on his phone a surprised voice is heard on the other end. "Kade? Long time no see." The warlock greets, shocked. It had been years since anyone had heard from him.

"Your the high warlock of Brooklyn. If those kids are looking for the cup and Jocelyn I'm guessing you're somehow involved." Kade cuts the chit chat short.

"They did just confront me at my club about stealing Clary's memories. But the circle tried to attack me and I left."  Is Magnus's honest reply.

"Give Jace back his memories." Kade gulps, looking towards the ceiling to try and hide his tears.