cHAPTER tWO

Her soon to be fiancée was already there in the study with his parents, the three of them had an expression of bewilderment on their faces. Her mother joined them as well. Mr. Bhardwaj entered last and closed the door behind him.

"Meet Mr. Santos." He gravely introduced the man sitting in the far corner of the room Ava hadn't noticed before. The moment she laid eyes on him, she knew. Her heart started to thud painfully.

"Good evening. I am Adalberto Santos. I represent Mr. Valerio Ferreira. Siddhartha gave a start. "Ferreira? You are Ava's ex- husband's lawyer, aren't you? Why are you crashing our engagement party?" he asked accusingly.

The older man shook his head, his face making it clear he wanted to be anywhere but here.

"Not yet her ex. Mrs. Ava Ferreira is still legally married to my client."

"And whose fault is that?" Siddhartha continued aggressively. "Your client refused to grant her the divorce. For three long years. Isn't he ashamed of himself?" The lawyer opened his mouth to say something but Siddhartha cut him off. "Why are you here? To be a party pooper? Haven't you people tortured Ava enough?"

Ava's father, Mr. Vishnu Bhardwaj, laid a hand on Siddhartha. "Let's hear what he has to say, Siddhartha."

"Thank you." The older man replied. "I am here as a gesture of good faith. As you know, my client hadn't consented to a mutual separation as you had applied for. I am only here to express his wish to let you know that, as there are still three more months before de-facto divorce is granted to Mrs. Ava Ferreira, if you are to marry before that, he will be forced to move the court with the criminal charge of bigamy against you." He finished, looking ever more grave than he had before.

"How dare you?" Mr. Sharma seemed to have found his voice at last. "You came here to tell us that? Of course we will be having the wedding after three months. You coming here to tell us that constitutes threatening and not a show of good faith."

"Believe me, that is not my client's intention and my advice was against this." He said. He turned his gaze on Ava, looking sad somehow, "I wanted to relay this message through your lawyer, Mrs. Ferreira, but you know how he is." He said almost pleadingly.

Ava knew. In fact, she could just picture Erico, slashing an impatient hand while he arrogantly vented his opinion about anything and anyone he had contempt for. And Ava had once qualified for that contempt, and it seemed, even now.

Vishnu Bhardwaj spoke quietly. "We have received the message, please inform your client that Mr. Santos. Let me show you out."

She watched as her father led the older man out of the study. She followed him. Just before the lawyer exited the gate, he turned towards her, grasping her hands.

"Ava, darling, let me tell you as Erico's uncle, and not as a lawyer. I am very sorry for what happened between you two. Please don't think too unkindly of him. Your fiancée seems like a solid young man, going by the loyalty towards you he just demonstrated. I wish you all the best, I hope you find happiness with him."

Ava believed the sincerity in his voice. She hesitated before replying.

"Thank you, Mr. Santos. How...how..." she didn't know how to frame the question. "How is he?"

"He was as devastated as you are." He answered. "But you don't worry about that. It is time for you to let go of the past and let yourself be happy. You deserve it."

Ava told herself as she returned to the party.

Yes, it was time for her to be happy. And she was going to do just that.