Chapter One

Chapter 1

8:58 pm
Mari Chanel

"Are you sure you got all your spring clothes baby? And you got all your electronics??" Mrs. Jameson grilled Mari with the same questions she had previously asked for the past hour and a half. Mari's older sister by about 2 years and some months laughed softly covering her mouth amused at this sight because their Mother had done this 2 years ago exact for Deandrea.

"Yes Ma'am." Mari said politely while biting her lip getting irritated by the minutes. She knew her Mother meant well but her freaking out was making her nauseous now overthinking if she did or didn't pack certain things. Deandrea must've sensed her sisters desperation because she clapped her hands together and stood up from where she was sitting on the edge of Mari's bed.

"Ma why don't you go make sure dad isn't overdoing it with loading his truck." Deandrea suggested putting her hand on their mother shoulder.

"I'm fine right here child. If you so worried you gon' out there and check." Their Mother gave Deandrea a glare and swatted her hand off of her shoulder.

Mari sighed and continued folding the last few tops that were in her drawer and stuffing them inside her suitcase.

"Ma your stressing Mari out." Deandrea pointed out rubbing her hand while poking out her lip.

"Oh please stop being a damn baby and suck that shit up. Go be a pest with your daddy." Their Mother now sat on Mari's bed making herself comfortable as she watched Mari pack the tops like a hawk.

"Ma.. these were the last two anyway. I'm done." Mari finally charmed in before her mom could fuss at Deandrea any further.

"Well you still got shit under that vanity. You ain't done."

"Ma I'm gonna have to use that in the morning so I'll pack it tomorrow." Mari laughed at her Mother as she tried to think of another excuse to keep helping Mari.

"Well alright. I'm going to go and prep for breakfast in the morning. You need your last hot breakfast before that drive. You know how cheap your daddy get when on the road and getting fast food." Her Mom stood up scanning the room one more time before she walked out completely making both Mari and Deandrea sigh in relief.

"God.. bitch was she this bad with you??" Mari looked up at Deandrea motioning for her to sit on her suitcase again.

"She's worse with you. I get it though it's just us you know. Both her kids are leaving for college. It's your first year though so wait until tomorrow on the drive." Deandrea sat on the suitcase putting weight on it making Mari successful with zipping it all the way around.

"Yes! But oh my god you mean I'm gonna hear all that shit again??" Mari covered her face with her hands shaking her head side to side.

"Listen here's a tip. Wear your AirPods and turn your music on full blast. Close your eyes and pretend your sleep if you have to. And if that doesn't work then your on your own with plan B bitch." Deandrea got off the suitcase and flipped her braids making them swat right in my face.

"BITCH!" Mari yelled giving Deandrea a mug.

"'My bad I didn't mean to do that." Deandrea laughed and opened her arms pulling her baby sister in for a big hug. "Bitch you better FaceTime me at least twice a week and answer my fucking calls. I answered your calls when you needed me!"

"I know, I know. I will Drea." Mari hugged her sister back just as tight sighing softly. "Okay okay enough mushy shit!"

Mari pushed her sister away from her and smiled while Deandrea wiped under her eyes.

"I know bitch I'm just gonna miss you calling me at your high school with tea on the hoes." Her sister sniffed and put her hand on her hip.

"I wasn't this bad when you left. I cried my first night sleeping in this room alone though. Who's taking you back to your campus in San Fran when your flight lands?" Mari asked her sister plopping on her bed leaning back so her back let out a crack that relieved her whole entire body.

"Marcus is. He told me he'd be their as soon as I landed." Deandrea smirked as she said his name. They've been together for 2 years they met a few months after she arrived and got settled in her university in San Francisco.

"Mmmhhhmmm at least one of us is getting some dick." Mari laughed and her sister immediately put her hand over her mouth making Mari's laugher now muffled.

"Freak ass! I honestly just wanna cuddle with him. I ain't had his arms around me." Deandrea finally removed her hand and wiped it across her leggings. "Well I'll let you get some sleep Mari. And wake me up when your getting ready to leave in the morning or I'll whoop your ass."

Deandrea pointed at Mari as she walked backwards out the room. As she walked through the door she jumped and screamed when their dad snuck behind her and said 'boo'.

"Daddy! Don't be doing that! You'll give someone a heart attack!" Deandrea hit his arm before walking out the room leaving Mari and her daddy alone.

"So how you feeling baby girl? Nervous?" Her dad asked curiously as he picked up the last two suitcases that were packed up in her room.

"Kind of.. but if Deandrea was fine I know I will be." Mari gave her dad a smile and he leaned down kissing her forehead like he did when she was just a little girl. Before they added on an extra bedroom both Mari and Deandrea had bunk beds so he'd kiss Deandrea up top first them move down to Mari. Now it was just a queen bed here.

"You'll do fine baby girl. Just focus on the books. Niggas can come later down the line you hear me?" Her dad said sternly lifting the bags and walking towards the door. "I love you."

"I love you too daddy." Mari replied as her dad lifted his right arm higher using his fingers to flip down the light switch for Mari and shutting the door behind him leaving her in the dark to let out a shaky breath. She was nervous as hell but that was to be expected. She didn't even know her roommate that well. All she knew was her name and few things via text to introduce herself as her roommate plus they had exchanged Instagram usernames so they hand a face to a name. Other than that she was clueless and had no clue what was going to happen when she arrived and that scared the hell out of her.