Chapter 1

Oliver tripped on his way to class. Again.

His face reddened as he picked up his scattered papers and hurried away from the stares of his peers. They should really be used to it by now, he was clumsy by nature so it happened often. His friend Mason fell into step beside him, taking in his embarrassed look.

"Trip again?" Oliver nodded solemnly.

"Hey man, look on the bright side. At least Annaliese didn't see you this time." Oliver flashed back to a week ago when he'd been zoned out and had tripped right in front of Annaliese, who was easily the most popular girl in school and probably the crush of 99% of the guys at school- including Oliver. His face reddened at the memory, how she had looked like she was trying not to laugh. He was thankful he hadn't scattered any papers that time, he'd been able to dust himself off and run away in record time. She seemed so untouchable and larger than life, nobody could help but admire her- she was confident and didn't care what people thought. Oliver wished he could stop caring so much about what other people thought.

"I guess that is a plus." He mumbled back as they walked into class.

Annaliese sat in the front row, surrounded by a few of her friends from her friend group. They tended to stick to themselves, but that only made them more revered somehow. All of them were popular in their own right. Beside her was Roman, who was big, ripped, and had a shaved head. He didn't talk much but that didn't stop all the girls in school from gushing over him. Next to Roman was the more talkative and friendly River, his brother. He had pushed back dark hair and an easy smile, he was one of the few that didn't seem that threatening. On the other side sat Amber and Brook, both stunning and untouchable like Annaliese. Brook was bubbly and friendly, she'd even talked to him once, although it was just to ask him for a pencil. Amber was more intimidating, and Oliver got the feeling that she and Annaliese would butt heads sometimes. All of them were beautiful, but his eyes were drawn only to Annaliese. Her eyes were on her desk, reading a handout the teacher had passed out. She brushed her long golden hair behind her ear and didn't even glance up as he walked by to get to his seat.

The rest of the day passed without Oliver making a fool of himself thankfully. He walked out of his last class and went to his locker to wait for Mason and their other friend Tim to get out and meet him there. They were going to his house after school to play videogames. He had just seen Tim start walking up and raised his hand to wave to him when he heard the commotion. Tim finished approaching and shot him a questioning look.

"What the hell is going on out there?" He asked, looking excited. Tim was always ready for something interesting to happen. Oliver shrugged, following Tim as he began walking hurriedly towards the crowd that was forming just outside the front doors of the school.

Tim pushed through the crowd with no issue, elbowing people aside without a care. Oliver followed behind him in the trail he left, apologizing to those who got elbowed. Finally, they made it to the front in time to see Annaliese facing another girl.

The other girl was another one of the more popular girls in school, but not in Annaliese's group. Her name was Melissa, Oliver recalled. She was yelling something to Annaliese, looking ready to blow steam out her ears as she said it, while Annaliese just stood there and listened, looking bored. Melissa was trying to pick a fight, something about her boyfriend breaking up with her because he was in love with Annaliese? She must be crazy. Annaliese had gotten a reputation in the few months since she and the rest of her group had transferred here. And it was a violent one.

The girl stopped yelling and seemed to be waiting for Annaliese's response. Annaliese looked up, a smirk spreading over her face, and she simply said: