Chapter 2

It's her.

A second later though, he came to his senses and shot to his feet, apologies pouring from his mouth, his face bright red as he retreated away with his hands up in defense, even as she made no move towards him, only stood up and brushed herself off, watching him closely with a look that he couldn't place. He was sure she was going to kill him though. He had knocked her down and then stayed on top of her. He was pretty sure she'd fought people for less. Oliver determined that the best course of action was to run.

"I'm sorry!" He said again, or yelled more like, and took off towards the school. She had helped him and he had thanked her by knocking her over and running away. Real smooth. She probably hated him now, instead of just thinking he was a nuisance.

He got to school as the second period began, and slid into his seat panting. Mason was in the class, and shot him a questioning look from his place next to Oliver's. Oliver just shook his head. He wasn't sure he wanted to tell his friends what happened just yet, but if he did it would be later when he was sure nobody else would hear. His mind was racing all through class, and he didn't hear a word the teacher said. Why had she helped him? Why hadn't she attacked him? He walked with dragging feet to his next class, one that he had with Annaliese. Most of the time he looked forward to having a chance to see her, but now he felt like he was walking into his casket.

Tim was in this class with him, and he looked confused by Oliver's ashen face too when he sat down, but class started before he could say anything. Annaliese wasn't there yet, and Oliver let out a breath he didn't know he was holding in. Maybe she had been suspended after the fight and she'd just happened to be near the school this morning. He hadn't thought she'd be suspended because her group seemed to have some sort of sway in the school system somehow, but she'd been in at least 3 fights since she came here, so maybe they'd decided they had to do something.

Oliver's hopes were in vain though, because she stalked into class a few minutes after the bell and sat at her desk down the row from them. The teacher looked like he wanted to say something about her coming in late, but he didn't dare. Oliver was scared to look over at her, and his eyes were glued to the desk. Just look at her, she's probably forgotten all about this morning. Just glance and see if she looks like she's still in a bad mood. Oliver tore his eyes away from his desk and glanced towards her, then quickly shot his head back down.

She was staring at him, her eyes zeroed in and intense on his skin.

Why was she staring at him? Oh God, she was still mad. What should he do? He squeezed his eyes shut, and ran a hand through his hair.

I should probably apologize, and properly thank her for saving my ass. She'll probably still be mad, but she deserves a proper apology... and maybe she'd decide to spare his life if he did, he told himself. The thought sent his stomach rolling and he cursed his father for giving him such a soft stomach- and so much anxiety. Awkwardness ran in the family, at least on his dad's side, and he took after it entirely, inheriting the long gangly limbs that he always tripped over as well as the soft stomach and crippling anxiety.

Annaliese stared at him all through class, and Tim didn't take long to notice. Neither did the rest of the class. They all watched curiously. Tim was shooting him looks that demanded he explain, and Oliver knew there would be no keeping the events of this morning a secret.

For the rest of the day, Oliver felt eyes on him. Each class he had with Annaiese, she stared at him, and when he passed her in the hall she stopped and watched. Her attention brought even more attention from others, that of confusion. Why was Annaiese staring at a random nobody? He told Tim the answer after they got out of class, Tim's impatient ass had refused to wait until after school for the story.

"Yeah, you're dead. Sorry bud." Tim said to him after the story was finished, and clapped him hard on the back. "Can I have your xbox once you're dead?" Oliver just buried his face in his hands.

After what seemed like forever, class finally let out. Tim and Mason met him at his locker like usual, but they didn't have plans to hang out today so it was just to say goodbye- and probably because Mason wanted to hear the story from Oliver.

After Oliver got done retelling it, cringing all over again, Mason nodded solemnly.

"I'll make sure to write you a beautiful eulogy." He said, trying to keep a straight face.

"At least I have one true friend," Oliver said jokingly, "all Tim cared about was my xbox."

""I'll take that since Tim is undeserving." Mason said with a grin.

"There's the catch." Oliver let out a laugh, feeling slightly better. He just needed to stay calm; what's the worst that could happen?

Oliver was walking home from school when he found out.

The weather was getting warmer, and Oliver unzipped his jacket. It had been a cool Spring so far, but he had a feeling the weather was about to change.

For once, Oliver was paying attention when the person stepped in front of him from their place in the shadows. He was still on edge from school today, and now he was sure he had the right to be.

Annaliese stood in front of him.

He stopped the instant he saw her, determined not to run away this time. He swallowed and cleared his throat.

"You're... Oliver?" She said, drawing out the name like she was getting a feel for it.

"Uh, yes, I am. Look- I- I um, I wanna say I'm sorry again. I didn't properly thank you before for helping me, and I know I probably apologized like 17 times but I wanted to let you know that I am really sorry I didn't mean to upset you or, um, fall on you. So um yeah, I'm sorry. And thank you." Oliver's voice shook and he felt like he was rambling a little, but she was listening intently so he figured he wasn't doing terribly. Then she took a step closer to him, then another. She slowly walked up to him until she was right in front of him and he was forced to take a step back, but she kept coming. He backed up until he felt his back press against something. A parked car. He was trapped.

They were face to face, and she was looking into his eyes. He could feel the heat from her body and see the strange honeyed color of her eyes that matched her hair.

"I should really go. My mom is expecting me." Oliver managed to get out in a strangled voice.

"She'll have to wait." She said, her voice quiet in a way he'd never heard it before.

"If you're going to kill me, please, just get it over with." He said, closing his eyes, unable to concentrate with her so close. It felt like his body was vibrating with the force of holding himself together, like a magnet when it gets too close to its other half.

"I'm not going to kill you." She said, causing Oliver to open his eyes in shock.

"You're not?" Not that I'm complaining but, "why not?"

"You're my mate." She said simply, as if it was obvious.

"I'm sorry, your what?"

"My mate, and I'm yours."

Oh dear God, she's crazy, Oliver thought, his heart sinking. Why did he have to have a crush on a girl who turned out to be crazy once she finally noticed him?

"I'm really sorry, I have to go." Oliver said, squeezing past her and starting to back up towards the direction his house was in.

"Wait, Oliver, you can't go. It's dangerous for you now. You need to stick with me and my pack."

Danger? Her pack? Her group of friends maybe? Maybe she played D&D with them and took it really seriously. Either way, he wasn't risking it.

"Sorry for troubling you." He said in a rush as he turned and ran, unsure what else to say. He worried for a moment that she would run after him, but when he looked back she was still standing where he'd left her.

Her face looked so sad he almost stopped and turned back. He'd never seen her show any emotion at all, let alone sadness. But then the words echoed in his head again:

"You're my mate, and I'm yours."

He kept running.