4- Flat Lemonade and Sticky Tables

Ash wasn't wrong when he said the bar was kind of a dive.

When we stepped in, I was immediately greeted with the overwhelming smell of cheap beer and cigarettes. To the left of the room was a bar with stools which were currently unoccupied, sticky tables taking up much of the space, at which a few people sat solemnly with drinks in their hands. There was a dimly lit stage at the front of the room, where a charmingly cliché Kurt Cobain type sat perched in the middle, strumming on an acoustic guitar.

I desperately wanted a drink, fearing this would be the only redeeming feature of the evening. That, and spending time with Ashton somewhere that wasn't my apartment.

"So, what do you think?,"

I bit my lip, deliberating how best to word my thoughts. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't exactly what I had expected when Ash said he was going to show me a fun time.

"It seems cool," I hesitated. "Should we get a drink?"

"I promise you first impressions aren't everything. I've had some of the best nights of my life here,"

He grinned nostalgically, making me feel as though I must have been missing something. He seemed to notice the lack of enthusiasm in my expression, chuckling and leading me over to the bar.

"Hey man!" the bartender's face flashed with recognition as he smiled warmly and leaned over the wooden bar, embracing Ash in a firm hug. I wondered if this was customary or whether Ash had failed to tell me something. When they broke away he turned to face me briefly, turning back to Ash and raising an eyebrow in mock surprise.

"Who's this?"

"Cal, this is Daisy my new neighbour. I'm giving her the inaugural tour of the town. Daisy, this is Cal my old friend and favourite bartender,"

Cal extended a hand out towards me and shook mine, the boyish smile never leaving his face.

"Welcome to Sydney, I hope you don't let Ash put you off," he laughed, though his voice was tainted with the kind of sarcasm reserved only for close friends.

"Thank you, I actually grew up here. I just came back after leaving uni,"

"Well, can I get you a beer to welcome you back anyway?"

I looked over at Ash, unsure of what to say. His eyes met mine and he seemed to notice that I was floundering for an answer.

"Actually we're not drinking tonight, mate." he looked back at me and I smiled appreciatively.

Cal's eyes widened momentarily, scanning Ashton up and down in exaggerated surprise. Then turning to me with a raised eyebrow. "What, did he get you pregnant or something?"

I laughed, or at least tried to.

"No, nothing like that! I'm just trying to stay off the alcohol for a couple of months. Ash, you go ahead and have a beer though,"

I nodded at him in approval, not wanting him to miss out on my behalf. He looked hesitantly back at me, clearly worrying I was just being polite. His fingers drummed against the bar again, reminding me of his tendency to do that whenever he felt uncomfortable.

"Ash will have a beer and I'll just have a lemonade please,"

I smiled gratefully at Cal and he nodded, turning away to get them. Ash placed a hand on my shoulder appreciatively and tilted his head down to meet my eyes.

"Are you sure? I'll just have the one,"

"Of course, I'm not going to stop you drinking Ash!"

I giggled, hoping to lift the now somewhat serious mood a little. Ash returned a smile and nodded in appreciation, his eyes softening as he relaxed. He took his hand away from my shoulder, the lack of contact making me feel strangely empty as we both turned back to look at the bar. I fiddled with the sleeve of my jacket wondering how to fill the silence, not anticipating it to be so much harder to make conversation outside of my living room. Ash seemed to feel the same, the drumming of his fingertips pulling me back out of my thoughts. At the same time, Cal returned placing the two drinks down in front of us with exaggerated flourish.