7- Waste The Night

Sitting on the sand banks, I held my arms close to my chest as the cool air washed over me. The rhythm of the waves drawing out over the beach and crashing steadily kept in perfect time with the sound of the gulls overhead as the orange sun melted away into purple over Bondi beach.

There were still a few couples wandering across the shore hand in hand. Laughing, sharing stories, stealing a kiss now and then. I wondered what they were talking about, who they were, how many memories I'd never know about. Like ships in the night, they seemed to drift endlessly in and out vision- only stopping to admire the sight of Sydney from the sand.

It was getting late, and I knew I couldn't stay here forever. Eventually, I would have to go back to that old apartment and relive every night since I got here. I so desperately wanted to stay, feeling a connection to part of myself I thought was long gone, the Daisy who had a whole life ahead of her and the world at her feet.

Standing up, I brushed the sand from my jeans and took one last look out over the horizon before beginning to walk back in the direction I came, looking down at the grains of white sand gently displacing under my step.

"Shit, sorry !"

I realised that in my distraction I had neglected to watch where I was going, the dull thumping in my shoulder signalling that I had just walked straight into something or somebody. I looked up with an apologetic smile, hoping that whoever it was would forgive me, the anonymity of the city allowing us both to go about our business as if nothing had happened--a simple nod of the head sufficing before we parted ways.

"Luke?"

Instead, I looked up to find the tall blonde from the bar standing in front of me, his waves tied back messily into a low ponytail. He was carrying a guitar on his back, the thick leather strap wrapping around his torso, a surprised smile playing on his lips. He looked good, reminding me of how terrible I probably appeared in comparison. I hoped the flush on my face would be disguised by the pinkish glow beating down from the sky, lowering my gaze again before clearing my throat.

"What are you doing here?"

He chuckled, shifting his weight between his feet and placing his hands in his pockets before speaking.

"I could ask you the same thing, you know? You are the one who just crashed into me," he replied, a playful smile dissolving any of the poison in his words.

I shrugged, laughing. I wasn't sure how to explain myself to someone I'd only met once, especially given the fact that I wanted to make a good impression. Sparing him the details of my sob story looked preferable, but I didn't want to look as though I was avoiding a conversation with him either.

"I...just came to watch the sunset. It's something I used to do a lot,"

"Used to?"

"Yeah, when I lived here as a kid. I moved away for uni two years ago but kind of...ended up taking a break."

I turned to look out at the ocean, avoiding eye contact. Luke seemed to sense the hesitation in my tone, nodding politely.

"I try and walk along this beach most nights. Play a little, write a little if I feel like it. It's kind of therapeutic sometimes"

We both remained silent for a moment, staring at the glittering of the water in the now dark night. His words lingered on the air, but it didn't feel awkward. He was right, it was like a kind of therapy.

"I get that. It's a kind of healing being here," I looked up at him, smiling earnestly. If only he knew.

He sat down, gesturing for me to join him as he placed the guitar next to him. I pulled my legs up to chest as I nestled in the sand beside him, shivering slightly.