The Battle of Hogwarts Part 2

Battle of Hogwarts part two

The Golden Trio ran through the castle, dodging Death Eaters, Hogwartians and various coloured jets of light. As they rounded a corner they almost crashed into Draco Malfoy, but simply dodged him and carried on running.

"Where are you going?" Draco yelled, but they either ignored him or didn't hear him. He made a momentary decision and followed after them. They carried on running out of the side door, down towards the Whomping Willow. Draco had no idea where they were going, and he groaned when Harry, Ron and Hermione pressed a knot on the trunk that stopped the crazy branches, and covered themselves with the invisibility cloak right at the foot of the tree.

He went closer, watching the still branches carefully. As he got closer to the trunk, he noticed an opening at the foot. It was quite small, and he had to crawl on all fours to get inside, but he managed it, and soon he was inside a dark tunnel. As he crawled, he could see a small light up ahead, and he followed it. He dared not go too far inside, in case he hit the trio under the invisibility cloak, but he was close enough to hear the voices of two people he knew very well in the room ahead.

"You have performed extraordinary magic with that wand tonight alone," Snape drawled.
"I am extraordinary, Severus," Voldemort replied, "but the Elder wand continues to resist me. Do you know why that is?"
Snape stayed silent.
"I didn't kill Albus Dumbledore," Voldemort said simply. "So the wand does not truly belong to me. While you live, the Elder wand shall never be mine."
"My lord-"
"You have been a wonderful servant, Severus, and I truly regret what must happen," Voldemort sounded almost disappointed. "But only I can live forever."

Draco, having worked out what was going to happen next, almost cried out to tell Snape to run. He remembered where he was, however, and caught himself just in time. He listened, horrified, as Voldemort whispered something in Parseltongue and the hissing of his enormous snake filled the tunnel. Draco closed his eyes as Snape's screams echoed all around him, and a tear rolled down his cheek as he attempted to block out the noise.

A few sickening minutes later, he heard the swish of a cloak as Voldemort left the room. He opened his eyes, and saw that the trio had pulled the cloak off and were going into the room. He followed them, and Ron spun around, expecting to see Voldemort.

"You?!" He spat, but Draco ignored him, watching his godfather on the floor. He squirmed with pain, and Harry knelt down beside him, pressing his fingers to the wound on his neck.

"Take these to the Pensieve," Snape whispered, grabbing Harry's arm as tears spilled out of his eyes. Hermione handed Harry a glass phial and he collected them. Then, Snape looked at Harry and said gently, "you have your mother's eyes." Harry smiled slightly, and the corners of Snape's mouth twitched. The green eyes found the black, but after a second something in the depths of the dark pair seemed to vanish, leaving them fixed, blank and empty. The hand holding Harry thudded to the floor, and Snape moved no more.

Suddenly, a cold voice filled the room, and all four of them stumbled backwards, thinking that Voldemort had come back.

"You have fought valiantly," the voice said. "Yet you have sustained heavy losses. If you continue to resist me, you will all die, one by one. I do not wish this to happen. Every drop of magical blood spilled is a terrible waste. But I shall be merciful. I command my forces to retreat, immediately. You have one hour. Dispose of your dead with dignity. Treat your injured.

"And now, Harry Potter, I speak directly to you. You have allowed your friends to die for you rather than face me yourself. I shall wait for one hour in the Forbidden forest. If, at the end of that hour, you have not come to me, I shall enter the castle myself and punish every last man, woman or child who has tried to conceal you from me. One hour."