Chapter three Summer Job

Chapter three

Summer Job

"Aden," my mother poked her head into my room.

"Hmmm..." I replied, still staring at my computer screen.

"Dinner will be ready in ten."

"Kay." I scrolled down the page looking for anything interesting.

She let out a sigh. "You been on that thing none stop for a week. Get off the computer, and do something with yourself, or I will take it away for the rest of the break."

"Whatever," I said under my breath before slamming my laptop shut. 

"Do you mind getting dress for the day as well."

I glanced down at my sweats and baggy t-shirt. "What's the point?" I laid my head back. "The days practically over anyways."

"Aden." She narrowed her eyes at me and put her hands on her hips. "You will not spend the entire summer locked away in your room. Do you understand me?"

"Yes, ma'am," I breathed. 

"That's what I like to hear." She left and closed the door behind her. 

Sinking down in my seat, I started spinning around in my chair. I didn't know what she expected me to do. I wasn't exactly an outdoors kind of person, and my parents hadn't bought me a car, so my options were limited. 

My phone started to buzz from where I had left it on the dresser. I kicked off my desk and rolled across the room. Snatching it, I answered it and walked over to the window. "Hey."

"Hey," said Jack. "Just wanted to see how you're taking it."

I pulled back the curtain and glanced down at the backyard. My mom had let Demon out, who was now leaving little surprises on the lawn. That dog was disgusting. "About what?"

"You don't know."

I sat down on the window seal. "Nope. So what's going on? I thought you all were heading out."

"I'm leaving tonight. Car pooling with Chris actually."

"He got back early from his family thing?"

"Yeah, coach talked to his dad, and they decided football was more important than a trip to Mexico. They going to make up for it later, or something like that."

I let out a sigh, feeling slightly pissed. "Tell him thanks for calling me. My mom is pretty much threatening me to leave my room."

"Hey, you know if I didn't have family stuff I would've invited you to do something."

"Yeah," I muttered. "Whatever, he's probably busy." 

"Um... you could say that," Jack laughed hesitantly. "He kind of got a new girlfriend and been spending time with her. We actually went to a movie last night. We would've invited you, but it might have been a little awkward."

I raised an eyebrow. He didn't. "It's Katy right? Chris is going out with Katy."

"Chris said you two were still friends and well, it's not the first time he's gone out with one of your ex. You have a lot. I've even dated a couple."

I clenched my jaw. "Yeah, but it hasn't been a week after she dumped me." Walking over to my bed, I throw myself on it. "Whatever, I could tell they liked each other. I should be use to it by now."

"Don't act like it's not bother you."

"Yeah it bothers me, but it Chris. There's not much I can do about it." I pulled a pillow under my head and curled up into a ball.