Chapter six Pitch Black

Chapter six

Pitch Black

I threw open the front door to see my mother with her arms spread wide. 

Her face scrunched up as she got closer to me, and she stopped her attempted to hug me. "Aden, you smell horrible."

"I know," I muttered, sliding passed her. "Dad made sure to remind me all the way home." I shot him an irritated look.

"Well hurry and take a shower. Dinner's ready."

"Okay," I breathed, dragging myself up the stairs and into the bathroom. After stripping off my clothes, I turned the water on as hot as I could stand and just stood there, too miserable to do anything. 

"Aden." my mother knocked on the door. "Hurry up, we'd like to eat."

"I'm almost done," I called back decided I better wash my hair and get out. I quickly lathered up and rinsed off. Securing a towel about my waist, I went to my room and threw on some clothes. 

Downstairs, my parents were sitting at the table discussing their day, like usual. I sat down and felt like melting onto the floor. Having to smell like a mutt all day had really taken a toll on my appetite. 

"So how was it?" asked my mother. "You're dad told me about the dog. You shouldn't let that get to you, sweetheart."

"It's fine mom. I'm over it." I dished myself some potatoes and meat, but I mostly just moved it around my plate. It kind of makes sense now why I can never gain any weight.

We ate mostly in silence. My mother use the moment to tell us about the book her club had decided to read. My brain shut off the moment she said something about romance. Love sucks, and I had recently learned that the hard way. 

When dinner was over my mother and father started to clean off the table, while Demon decided that playing under my feet was a good idea. So I preoccupied myself with trying to figure out a way to get him away from me and make it look like an accident at the same time. 

"Aden honey, do you mind taking him on a walk for me?"

"Mom," I whined. "It's your dog."

"Please Aden. I have to finish cleaning up dinner and get started on my book. I'll get behind if I don't." She took my plate and walked over to the sink. "It would really help me out."

"Fine." I stood and went to go put on my shoes. I sat down on the bench in the entryway and slipped on my tennis shoes. 

"Here's he is." My mother appeared with Demon in her arms a leash attached to his collar. "Make sure you don't bring him back to soon, or he'll leave me a little surprise to clean up in the morning."

"Got it." I jerked my hoody over my head and grabbed the leash. 

She held him out to me.

"He has legs."

She placed him on the ground and kissed my cheek. "Thank you Aden."

Nodding, I smiled slightly and opened the door. Demon bolted outside, almost ripped the leash from my hand. 

"Dumb dog," I muttered under my breath. I followed him out and walked down the street. If he had to go, it wasn't going to be anywhere near my house. 

We stopped by the fence of our neighbor's cow pasture. I unclipped him and stood there freezing as he circled around the same two square feet for tens minutes.

"It smells exactly the same as it did two seconds ago," I growled, shoving my hands in my pockets to protect them from the bitter air. 

Demon continued to sniff every blade of grass and rock.