DEMOGORGON

Biographical information

Status: Deceased in season 1, Alive in season 3 and possibly season 4

Born: Unknown

Died: November 12, 1983, Hawkins Middle School, Disintegrated by Eleven

Aliases: The Monster, Man with No Face

Residence: The Upside Down

Physical information

Species: Demogorgon

Gender: Unknown

Height: 9 - 10 feet

Fur color: None

Portrayal

Portrayed by Mark Steger

Appears in episodes: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8

The Demogorgon, also known as the Monster, was one of the main antagonists of the first season of Stranger Things.

It was a predatory humanoid creature that entered Hawkins, Indiana in November 1983. The creature originated from the parallel dimension known as the Upside Down. When Eleven, a psychic test subject from Hawkins National Laboratory, made interdimensional contact with it, a gate between dimensions opened at the lab.

The creature passed through, terrorizing Hawkins for approximately a week. It abducted various residents and took them back to the Upside Down, usually killing them. The friends and family of Will Byers, one of the Demogorgon's victims, slowly began to uncover the truth about the creature, with the help of the escaped Eleven. The creature was finally defeated and destroyed by Eleven in a showdown at Hawkins Middle School.

History

Background

A test subject with psychic powers labeled Eleven was placed into a sensory deprivation tank as one of Hawkins National Laboratory's experiments; this allowed Eleven to delve into a deeper psychic state. Although she successfully eavesdropped on a Russian spy as instructed, she unwittingly came across the Monster. Eleven's instincts urged her to stay away from it; she panicked, and the experiment was aborted.

Dr. Martin Brenner was intrigued by the creature, repeating the experiment on November 6, 1983. This time, Brenner ordered Eleven to make contact. As Eleven psychically approached the Monster, she could see it feeding off an otherworldly egg. With great hesitancy, she made contact. In that exact moment, a gate to the Monster's dimension cracked open in the wall of the tank room, allowing the creature to pass through. Eleven managed to exit the tank and escape the lab amidst the ensuing chaos. An unnamed scientist was not so lucky; the Monster caught him as he tried to operate an elevator.

1983

The Monster had the ability to travel between dimensions on a whim, creating temporary portals in the fabric of reality. The Monster arrived at Mirkwood, a road near a local forest, where it stalked Will Byers on his way home. The Monster chased Will as he entered his house, forcing Will to run to his garden shed. Will hid in the shed, loading a rifle in self-defense, but the Monster simply appeared behind him, taking him into the Upside Down.

Once in the Upside Down, Will managed to evade the creature for almost a week and began attempting to communicate with his mother. Joyce and Will had some success, with Will manipulating the electricity in his home dimension, although these attempts would sometimes attract the monster. In an early attempt, Joyce saw her house wall become warped and distorted as the Monster started to break through, terrifying her. In a later attempt, the Monster broke clean through, although Joyce managed to outrun it.