Chapter Six

"Lucy, what a pleasure!" Russell greeted. 

"The pleasure is all mine," Lucy replied sweetly. She forced a smile.

It's a good sign he doesn't know how to read people, she thought. She shut the door of the Headmaster's office. Russell was sat behind the desk relaxed, his legs extended so that the bottom of his boots were resting on the wooden top.

She didn't like sucking up to Russell. She hadn't liked it when Deborah had been here either; but having her girlfriend close had made it worth it. Getting her girlfriend back was going to make it worth it, too. Then they could both get the hell away from Russell and his school of horrors. She just hoped her plan would work.

She needed to find Deborah. To do that, she needed to get outside the school. And the only way to do that under Russell's watch was on a food run.

"What can I do for you?"

"I was just thinking... Dylan is due out for a food run later. We make a good team... I thought, maybe I could go with him instead of - "

A knock at the door interrupted them. 

"Come on in!" Russell called cheerily, sliding his feet off the desk.

It was Danielle, Dylan and an auburn-haired boy that Lucy didn't recognise. A newcomer, perhaps?

"Russell," Danielle said. "This is Sam. Sam, Russell. He's in charge at the school here."

Lucy saw a look of annoyance flash over Dylan's face. She knew that the pair were something of an item now, despite Danielle's former relations with Russell. It must be hard for Dylan living under Danielle's ex's thumb.

"Sam, pleased to meet you," Russell greeted. He stepped around the desk, shook Sam's hand smartly and clapped him on the shoulder. "Glad to have a newcomer in our midst. That is, if you pull your weight of course!"

"I'm not scared of hard graft," Sam reassured. He offered Russell an uncertain smile.

"Good man - that's what I like to hear." Russell thought for a moment and a nasty smile spread across his face. Lucy didn't like the look of that one bit.

"I tell what you," Russell began. Lucy could see him turning the bravado and charm on for Sam and Danielle. As much as Russell didn't like to admit it, Lucy knew that Danielle's rejection must have hurt.

"Dylan needs someone to go on a food run with him later. Lovely Lucy here - " Russell pointed to her, and Lucy nodded her head politely in Sam's direction - "was about to volunteer, but I think we've found ourselves a new recruit." He clapped an arm around Sam's shoulder enthusiastically. He met Lucy's eyes across the room. "You've got your first task, Sam. Dylan can take you under his wing."

"Thanks Russell."

Dylan, Danielle and newcomer Sam shuffled out of the room. Deflated, Lucy moved to follow them. Perhaps Russell was better at reading people than she gave him credit for.

"Oh, and Lucy?"

She turned in the doorway. Russell's cold eyes were boring into her own.

"You're going to have to try harder than that to get outside this school."

***

Megan was lost for words.

After her introduction to Amana in the pub, Jenny had helped Megan back into the car; to the passenger seat this time. Megan had been about to ask where Amana would sit - surely the queen of a castle wouldn't be relegated to the backseat? - until she heard the guttural roar of another engine.