An Angel Scared Witless

The next morning, Cas slowly drifted back into consciousness after a dreamless sleep. Dreamless as usual.

He looked over at the crib and faintly smiled. He rubbed his eyes tiredly and got up to check on them, leaving the quilt on the chair. When he looked in the crib and found only Eva, he could feel his heart jump up into his throat.

"Xzavier?" He practically whimpered.

He lifted Eva out of the crib, holding her close to him. He was scared out of his mind. If Xzavier wasn't in the crib, where else could he have been? Perhaps Sam would know.

He found Sam in the library, doing research as usual, and was quick to confront him. "Sam, do you know where Xzavier is? I woke up and he wasn't in the crib. Where is he, Sam?" He asked horrifiedly.

Sam got up from his chair. "Okay, just relax. I'm sure we can figure this out."

"Where is he? Where is my Xzavier?" He was close to tears at the thought of something bad happening to his baby boy.

"Well, I know I put him in the crib last night after you fell asleep. Let's just go to the nursery and figure this out."

They went into the nursery, Cas about ready to blow a fuse. "Sam. He's gone. He's just gone."

Sam went to investigate the crib and soon found an answer to their quandary. There was a yellow substance on the rail. He dabbed it with his finger and smelled it, confirming his first suspicions. It was sulfur.

"Cas," He began somberly. "I hate to break this to you, but...-" He turned around and showed Cas the traces of sulfur on his fingertip.

Cas choked back a sob, shaking his head. "No."

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

"No. No, no, no, no!" He continuously shook his head, trying to deny it, even though he knew what this meant.

Sam wiped the sulfur from his finger. "Cas, I'm sure we can find him. Okay? We will find him."

Cas fell to his knees, holding Eva close to him, never wanting to let her go. "Why? Why?" He cried. And at that moment, he shed his first real tear.

._.__._.

He didn't know what to do. He just lost his son. While he still had Eva, there was still a hole in his heart that couldn't be filled.

He sat in the wooden chair by the crib, holding Eva in his arms. His little Xzavier was gone. And there was nothing he could do.

"I swear on my own life, my little Eva, I will keep you safe," He murmured to his child. "I will not let you accept the same fate as your brother. That will never happen. I promise."

Sam walked into the nursery. "Hey, Cas. How you holding up?" He asked softly.

"How do you think?"

"Cas, I'm sure there's a way to find him."

"Why only him? Why did he just take Xzavier? Is he just trying to exploit my weaknesses? Is that it?" He nearly broke down in tears again, but he got his bearings.

"Just be glad you still have Eva."

"For how much longer? He could come back and take her, too."

"Cas... I am so sorry. I can't even begin to imagine how this feels. I have lost people I love, but... never my son. I'm really sorry, Cas."

"I just want my little boy back. I want him back more than anything. I want to hold him in my arms and tell him that everything will be okay. I just want him back, Sam."