XIII. Awakening

Seben's focus when she sat down to the task ahead was impressive, even to Vassa. According to the candle marking the hours, they were almost half a day into the last stretch of the young woman pouring over every book Masaharta could obtain that dealt with djinn and fire-speaking. As she studied, she scratched symbols onto a piece of papyrus in a complicated web of designs using a stylus and dark ink. The intensity of Seben's attention to her work gave Vassa time to explore the city without fear of dragging the young woman into anything. She returned often, however, to keep an eye on things.

Soon, they would be placing a great many hopes on Seben's shoulders. It was almost time for the Games themselves and for the apprentice fire-speaker to face her first feral djinn.

"This might be considered unwise," Vassa observed. She leaned against the edge of the desk, keen eyes taking in the web of sigils in a language even she had only a rudimentary understanding of. Sarom's tradition was far from a complete understanding of the God-Tongue, but it was still more extensive than most had preserved. Other languages could access some of the same magic, but the clearer the conduit, the more power would flow.

Seben leaned back and exhaled in a sharp sigh. "I know," she acknowledged. "It's just...I want to do this the right way."

"Binding the djinn traditionally would be safer," Vassa pointed out. Her lips quirked into a slight smile behind her mask. "If you don't mind me playing demon's advocate."

"I can always fall back to that," Seben said. She looked down at her notes, much of it resembling chicken-scratch more than the elaborate and precise glyphs used by Leyan mages. "At least this way the djinni has a choice. We won't know for sure until I try the different incantations, but it's more than others would do."

"The freedom to choose is a precious gift," the masked woman said. There was something endearing about Seben's emphasis on granting it, but Vassa knew her own past left her biased on such subjects. "The djinn are fortunate to have you applying your knowledge with such consideration. I will warn you of only one thing: you may find yourself paying the cost of the binding with the alterations to control. That will not be a pleasant experience, particularly with no training to hone your resilience."

"As long as it's not lethal, I'm fine," Seben said firmly.

"Death is a possibility. We do not know how much the djinn pay for their chains, and they are creatures all but made of magic. What a mortal would pay could be all-consuming," Vassa warned. "I say this so that you contemplate your options."

Seben turned fully to face Vassa, expression serious. "I would rather do this the right way than the easy way," she said. "People should see that we can work alongside djinn rather than keeping them under our heel."

Vassa shook her head, though her smile had returned. "Let it never be said that Seben Femi lacks conviction."

"I need it," Seben admitted. "It's that or run away."

"You are doing admirably, for having all of this thrust upon you." Vassa knew that the young woman had buried herself in her studies to avoid dealing with the possibility of having royal blood and all the problems that accompanied it. The distraction was at least a useful one.

Seben flashed the masked woman a smile. "Thanks."

"Lord Osei informs me that you cannot be accompanied into the arena." Delicate, scarred fingers brushed across the surface of the desk as Vassa contemplated her options. Provided no wards prevented her from doing so, she could far-step to reach Seben in a heartbeat. "They wish to ensure no one is able to interfere with the trial." While normally she considered the fate of others removed from her own and allowed the universe to do as it willed, the idea of being unable to protect Seben was...uncomfortable.