The Sunset

Cole sits outside, watching the sunset. Him and his parents used to do that, back when they were all a family. He missed those times.

He hugged his legs, leaning on them, staring glumly at the beautiful thing, bittersweet memories fluttering through his mind.

He heard a door open and close behind him, and looked back to see his best friend, Jay, walking over. Jay sat next to him.

"Wow! It's really pretty tonight isn't it!?"

"Yeah," Cole responded, looking back at the sunset.

There were clouds of orange and pink in the sky, covering the sun, but bringing their own beauty.

It gave Cole an odd sense of nostalgia.

"Are you doing alright?" Jay asked him.

He looked back at Jay, a bit surprised by the sudden question. Was it obvious something was on his mind? Obvious enough for Jay of all people to notice?

"I just... I kinda miss my mom," Cole mumbled, his eyes drifting back to looking at the clouds.

Jay frowned sympathetically. "Ah... that makes sense... did she like sunsets?"

Cole nodded, "Loved them, my family would watch them together a lot before.. you know..."

He suddenly felt one of Jay's arms wrap around him, as he leaned on him slightly. Cole wasn't sure if Jay was doing it to comfort him or if he was just tired.

"How about your dad?" Jay asked.

"He would too.. well, while my mom was alive.. after she died we didn't really do that anymore.. sometimes I would do it alone.."

"You sounds like you had a great relationship with her," Jay said.

Cole smiled, reminiscing. "Yeah, she was kind, strong, caring," Cole said, "she didn't deserve to go.."

"I guess I know where you get it from!!" Jay exclaimed, a soft chuckle coming from him.

Cole laughed a bit as well, "No, stop, I'll never be as good as she was.."

Jay sat back up, looking at Cole, "I think your mom would be really proud of you if she was still here!!"

Cole's happy expression weakened a bit. "I-I'm not sure if she would," he mumbled, "I mean, what if this isn't what she wanted for me? What if I'm not doing enough?"

Jay crossed his arms. "Cole, you are one of the greatest people I know! Sure, you make mistakes every now and then, but who doesn't.. Your mom has no reason not to be proud of you!"

Cole stared back at the sunset, starting to disappear under the horizon, a small smile of contentment on his face.

"Thanks Jay.. That.. really means a lot.." Cole said.

"Hey, anything to make my best friend feel better," Jay responded, leaning on Cole again, watching the horizon with him.