𝟎𝟏

━━━━ ​𝗦𝗛𝗘 𝗠𝗔𝗬 𝗖𝗢𝗡𝗧𝗔𝗜𝗡
𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗨𝗥𝗚𝗘 𝗧𝗢 𝗥𝗨𝗡 𝗔𝗪𝗔𝗬!
↳ 𝖼𝗁𝖺𝗉𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝗈𝗇𝖾

The world was dying; cold and unforgiving as it surrendered, succumbing to the strewing virus that'd shaken it so viciously

The world was dying; cold and unforgiving as it surrendered, succumbing to the strewing virus that'd shaken it so viciously. Like its surrounding states, Wyoming was under fire. However, it wasn't as rewarding as it should've been, offering no warmth. Rather, the unfortunate residents were void of any escape from the ruthless winter season, the surface blanketed by a layer of soft snow and pervaded by freezing, hopeless survivors. Even now, in the early morningtide, the sun was present, although weak and concealed by thick sheets of looming, light grey clouds. Akin to the cigarette smoke that lingered throughout Austin Miller's bedroom, most every night that she spent in it.

Currently, she laid in the fluffy white duvet, floating through it like a paddle would waves. She almost always managed to make it home before morning─ exceptionally only because she'd made a few mistakes, here and there. Otherwise, her father would start poking around in her personal affairs, wondering where she spent her time.

By the time that she had finally woken up, the man was gone, nowhere to be found in their grand home. He and her uncle, Tommy, were out on a run and they'd left earlier, before dawn had even concluded. But, Joel never interrupted Austin's sleep to say goodbye, finding it unnecessary when she hardly got a solid five hours each night. Rather than starting an intervention, he preferred to look after her when the opportunities that were left open to him. Besides, he just didn't see the point, as she was too stubborn to hear him out. And, hey, he'd always be back soon enough anyways.

However, today was different from most after the happenings of the night prior, and Austin actually needed Joel there, even if she'd never verbally ask that much of him. Asking for help often made her feel pathetic, as stupid as that was. Especially when it came to him. She couldn't bring herself to ask anybody for assistance, let alone her terrifying father. He'd never shame her for it, but she'd always felt weak when requesting his aid. He had raised her to be self-reliant.

Nonetheless, his absence didn't change much of anything about Austin's routine as she tiredly cascaded down the house's narrow staircase, a few of the wooden steps squealing beneath her light weight. She thoughtlessly buttoned her denim bluejeans before finally reaching her pounding front door; the repetitive sound of sharp knuckles against the pallet was aggravating, echoing throughout the empty house and ringing the tanned girl's ears. It didn't help that she was fairly hungover.

Swinging the entrance open without much consideration, too exhausted to properly consider what exactly she was doing, Austin was faced by Jesse. He wore a smile so big that she was momentarily distracted by it, nearly missing the sight of an awkward, visibly uncomfortable Ellie Williams. Unfortunately, she soon noticed her. The older girl was hiding behind their mutual friend, attempting to shrink within her own parchment skin to avoid confronting Austin, who suddenly felt like a complete asshole, her subtle smile pulling into a gentle frown. Her playful expression was replaced by another, far more remorseful. Beyond that, she displayed obvious shame. Meanwhile, Jesse's joyful mask didn't falter, even though he knew exactly what was haunting the tense pair.