35

Imagine you're sat backstage with your best friend, Niall, at a one direction concert

Imagine you're sat backstage with your best friend, Niall, at a one direction concert. You've been with him a lot recently, during the UK leg of the tour because he invited you to tour with them and you weren't about to turn down some time with Niall.

All the boys, bar Niall, are playing table football whilst you and Niall are sat on the sofas, him topless, in some white shorts and you in an Adidas tracksuit, gifted to you by Louis.

Niall is strumming the guitar, a serious expression on his face, like he's thinking hard about something.
You poke him with your foot. "What ya thinking about Nialler?"
He shakes his head, a shy smile on his face. "Nothing, don't worry about it Y/N/N."
"If you say so but to me it looks like you're thinking very hard about something." You say, shrugging.
"Nah." Niall begins strumming the guitar again, humming under his breath.

"Can you sing for me, please?" You smile pleadingly.
Niall begins to shake his head but then rolls his eyes affectionately. "Yeah okay. Just for you."
His fingers brush over the strings and the first few chords of Little Things echo around the room. His somehow soft but husky voice croons the lyrics, seemingly directly to you. Your heart flutters as he gazes into your eyes, before he looks away, embarrassed.

When he sings the final line, he looks straight back into your eyes. "And I'm in love with you and all your little things." His voice comes out as a whisper before a blush creeps up his cheeks and he clears his throat. "I better go get ready, I'll be back." He stands up, patting your knee as he walks past and almost instinctively, you grab his hand, standing up to face him.
"That was beautiful Ni." You swallow, a lump forming in your throat.
"Thanks Y/N/N." His eyes look down to your lips as he steps closer to you, reaching for your other hand.

As the gap between you two slowly closes, your heart begins beating rapidly. Niall lets go of one of your hands, to place it on your waist as his face inches closer to yours. You can feel his warm, minty breath fanning your face as you lean up towards him.

"WOOOOOO! I WIN! TAKE THAT YOU LOSER." Louis shouts, making the both of you jump and step away from each other, avoiding each other's eyes.
"C'mon boys , come get ready now." Paul's voice echoes through the room.
Niall turns to look at you, opening his mouth, almost about to say something, but he closes it again, briefly smiling at you, before making his way to the door.
"Niall! Wait." You call out, not entirely sure what you're going to say. He sharply turns, like he was ready and waiting for you to call him.
"Yeah?"
"I-I think I- um. You know what, never mind. I'll see you in a bit."
Niall's smile falters for a split second, but he recovers quickly and nods, again making his way to the door. "See you in a bit Y/N." He calls over his shoulder.

As he walks away, you sigh in annoyance. Why couldn't you just say it? Why couldn't you just tell him what he means to you? It shouldn't be that hard. But it is.