Flamingo

Then; 9 months ago

'Stay calm and flamingo' Carrie rolls her eyes and Scrubs the tea stains that have formed on Lucy's favourite mug. Things have really changed in the month that she's been here.

Here as in Lucy's apartment.

Ever since that night in the bar, Carrie spent every night on her couch. During the day she does the cleaning, cooking and groceries (even though Lucy was very reluctant on letting her leave, thinking she will try and go back out there) and even has attempted finding a job. That has not been as successful. It makes sense, no one wants a kid who is fresh off the streets to work with them, least of all, one with no experience and a shady background.

She wants to help, Carrie has never been this helpless before, at least she knows how to cook. She smiles, remembering how Lucy constantly says.

"she's not just a face, she knows how to cook too"

Carrie can't help but chuckle at the memory of the first time she had cooked Lucy a meal. It was  just a simple potato bake since apparently Lucy doesn't have the time between shifts to really prepare and cook something for herself other than freezer meals. Everyday Carrie tries to learn something new, another way to impress Lucy. She doesn't know if it's because of how helpful Lucy is or because she feels like she owes her something but Carrie has the desire to give Lucy everything and to remind her how grateful she is.

"Hey Car, I have to work late tonight again. Will you be okay?" Lucy bellows from across the apartment to Carrie.

"I have the same answer for you that I have every other time you tell me that you're working late: Yes I will be okay, and no you don't need to give me the 'don't talk to strangers' speech". Carrie replies back while she walks across the apartment and towards Lucy's room. "How come you're doing so many night shifts lately?"

"Because Phil is an asshole and quit leaving us short staffed on the night shift," Lucy says between breaths as she struggles to put on her shoes whilst sitting on the bed.

Carrie leans on the door frame looking at Lucy as she gets ready for work God she's cute "Why don't you do a hire round? I'm sure there plently of people needing some work".

"I proposed the idea to Matt, the store manager, but apparently no one is interested in working in a bar where the hours go until two am, that is,  if you're lucky". Lucy is now fully dressed and ready to head out the door, maybe I can steal just a couple more minutes of your time. "I guess it's just something I'm going to have to deal with in the meantime, But man was I hoping to have a proper sleep pattern and learn to be productive". She grabs her phone off the bedside table where it was left to charge.

Think Carrie think.

"I can apply there!" Carrie blurts out in one breath. Lucy stops, facing Carrie. Hand on her hip and eyes looking around in contemplation. "I know how to serve drinks and I am great with customers."

Lucy doesn't even need to say anything except look at her for her to know she needs to rethink her approach to this. "Okay, so maybe I'm not the best with people but I do need the extra cash.  You need an extra staff member and a better house mate, one that's more independent".

please say yes please!

"Aww but my wonderful, cute housemate knows how to cook. If she starts working then she won't be in the mood to cook me yummy dinners," Lucy retorts, giggling to herself.

That laugh. Carrie's body reacts everytime she hears her voice or the sound of her laugh.

"Look, no promises, but I'll talk to Matt,okay?  I'll let you know what he says. In the mean time, I have to go to work and I know you will miss me but I'm running late" Lucy teases as she heads for the front door.

Knowing Lucy can't have the last say, Carrie grabs her hand as she walk past to stop her quickly. Lucy catches her breath in surprise. This makes Carrie smirk as she nears her face closer. What are you doing? Lucy doesn't breathe, Just darts her eye between Carrie's lips and her eyes. Bingo! Wanting the last say, Carrie plants a soft kiss on Lucy's cheek. She sees an emotion flicker on Lucy's face before she composes herself.

"Well have a good night at work," Carrie says, taking a step away from Lucy, giving her the room to walk.

"I-Uh- I will, thanks," Lucy straightens her shirt, grabs her key and walks out the door, closing it behind her.

The sound of the closing door makes Carrie feel like she can breathe again.

What just happened?  Did Lucy want me to kiss her? Did I want to kiss Lucy?

Conflicted, Carrie makes her way back to the kitchen to prepare for dinner. Thinking about the moment that just passed causes feelings in her stomach, like no feeling she's felt before. She did want to kiss Lucy, just not yet, not now. The moment she reveals to Lucy how she feels, she has to be sure that it is the right time and that Lucy feels the same.

She wants to get on top of a table in a busy restaurant and scream "Lucy Munro, I want you to be mine". But for now Carrie practices with the knives and forks while washing up and the stars that she sees from the apartment at night.

One day Lucy, you will be mine and I yours.