CHAPTER TEN

Unusually, it was a sunny morning when Rodrick rolled out of bed on Friday. His parents, as indifferent about his suspension as any parent of a child like Rodrick could be, had already left for work and taken his brothers to school. He had the house to himself. He flew down the stairs, grabbing a container of yogurt from the fridge as he entered the kitchen. Silently, he ate his breakfast with a peculiar efficiency, considering he had essentially nothing planned until Monday. But he darted out to the garage, peeling off the sweatshirt he was wearing as he slid into the seat of his drum set. The headphones he wore to play pressed his ears against his head, firmly pushing a dull aching sensation into his skull. 

He queued the right track on the tape player he wore pressed against his hip before he raised the drumsticks to the instrument. As the synthesizer and vocals started in, Rodrick tapped the rhythm against the side of the snare drum, closing his eyes to focus.

Guitar chords.

There's my cue, Rodrick thought as the percussion began. He followed along with the song, increasing his energy as the groove of the song began.

"But I crumble completely when you cry!" the tape screamed into his ear, bringing up his energy again. 

Rodrick felt the long decay of the final note of the bass drum, the other instrumentals of the song fading out shortly after the drums.

He threw off the headphones, breathing heavily as he used the neckline of his T-shirt to wipe the sweat beading on his hairline. Tugging at a lock of hair growing behind his ear, he thought of Sylvia.

---

The neighborhood felt empty as he gazed out the windows in the living room. With everyone gone at work or school, it was almost as if the streets had been abandoned. In the glow of the sun, it was a peaceful feeling. Rodrick imagined the beach again - the secret spot they'd visited weeks ago, the sound of waves crashing against the rocky shore, the chill of the icy water at his ankles. He imagined being in his van with her, his hands at her hips, hers gripping the blanket underneath them. He imagined being with her again, reminiscing on the way she had trembled when he put his teeth against her neck and bit down, wishing he could have her again, wishing he could make her feel that way again.

Outgoing iMessage to Sylvia

wish you were here

He tossed his phone onto the couch behind him, still focused on his empty neighborhood. Impatiently, he paced around the room, itching to find something to keep him busy for a while. His phone buzzed.

One New Notification - iMessage

Sylvia: me2, r u home?

yeah

Sylvia: just come back 2 school, idk y u had 2 get urself suspended :|

what was i thinking

Sylvia: ik u were joking but i could be at ur house in 15

not joking, come over, frank and susan are gone

Sylvia: make me

Sylvia: jk 

Sylvia: what's in it for me

hanging out with me isn't enough? 

Sylvia: hmm

Sylvia: fine, omw

Rodrick smiled slightly at his phone. He bounded up the stairs, checking himself in the small mirror in his bedroom. He ruffled his hair with both hands and tucked some clothes away that he found lying about his room. He turned on the radio to listen for a few minutes while he waited.