CHAPTER TWELVE

Rodrick scrubbed the last of the paint from the door of his van. That was the last thing he had to take care of before he left - fixing the car. It's hard enough to be inconspicuous in a giant-ass van but damn near impossible to avoid suspicion when that van has the words LÖDED DIPER on the side. Two more days, that was all. He'd be gone. 

At least, for a little while.

He hadn't meant for Sylvia to get caught up in all of it - the fire and all that. But she came along at the worst time. He tried not to get too attached. He really did. But she got under his skin in the best way - he thought of her constantly from the day they met. From the day they met, he knew he was in too deep with her. So, from the start, he decided he'd make the most of his last month in town and let himself fall for her. 

And he did. 

He never told her, but he loved her. Her broken fingernails and cold hands, the soft curve of her cheeks, the sharpness of her breath when he would run his fingers through her hair - he loved all of her. He thought about telling her, but where would that get them? It would only be more painful when he left. 

And he did. Leave, that is. 

He missed her. Of course he missed her. How couldn't he? She was his world for those few weeks. She was everything to him. 

And he still missed her as he drove across the country, eventually crossing a state border, and another, and another, and so on. 

He drove down a long country road. There wasn't another car in sight; just tall grass on both sides of the road. Cows. Fenceposts. Et cetera. But as he drove, the cold fall air blowing in through his open window, he thought, I'll be back for her.

He turned up the volume of the music. 

NOW PLAYING: Where is my Mind? by Pixies

a/n

lmao. sorry for even shorter update. ummm. i feel bad because i hardly update anymore but it's been a rough couple months? i just want all of u who still read this to know i am trying my best!! it's all i can put together rn, ty for reading as always ily