Chapter Five

"Let all cats old enough to swim gather beneath High Tree for a Clan meeting!" Pebblestar yowled. It was a quarter moon after the big fight and they decided to give Nightpaw his Warrior Assessment because of the battle. His stomach had healed almost completely, just little pink scars remained, reminding him of the battle. Everyday he went with Hawkheart and Hawthornepaw to the stream to swim a little, the cool water helping heal his wounded belly. Hawthornepaw was excited that he was getting his warrior name, but also a little disappointed. They had grown close over the moons and she was sad to see him leave the den, even though she would still see him, she knew it wasn't going to be the same. The Clan all walked towards the tree, sitting patiently gazing up at Pebblestar. 

"Nightpaw, please step forward." Nightpaw stood up and took a few paces towards the tree, acting confident, but Hawthornepaw could tell by the way his tail was quivering that he was scared. "Hawkheart, has Nightpaw learned the skills of a warrior and know the importance of the Warrior Code?"

"He has." Hawkheart says, her eyes gleaming in pride.

"I, Pebblestar, leader of RiverClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down upon this apprentice. They have trained hard to know the ways of your noble code, and I commend them to you as a warrior in turn. Nightpaw, do you promise to uphold the Warrior Code and protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?"

"I do," Nightpaw said confidently.

"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Nightpaw, from this moment on you will be known as Nightsky. StarClan honors your dedication and strength and welcomes you as a full warrior of RiverClan." 

Pebblestar rests her head on Nightsky's and he licks her shoulder. 

"Nightsky! Nightsky! Nightsky!" The clan yowls. He raises his head proudly and Hawthornepaw walks over to him.

"Congratulations, Nightsky! That's a wonderful name," she purrs.

"Thanks, Hawthornepaw. I always thought it would be Nightpelt because of my pelt, but I like this a lot better." 

"I mean, your pelt does look like the night sky," she purrs, then Berrytail walks over, giving him a lick on the shoulder. Berrytail is his mother, but his father, Ashfrost, had died from whitecough before he was born. He looked nothing like his mother, but was the spitting image of Ashfrost, the same black fur and sparkling blue eyes. Hawthornepaw took one last look at him as she padded off to find Lakeclaw and continue her training. She saw her on the other side of camp, sharing tongues with Willowwing. She was about a foxlength away when she collapsed, the world turning black.

She opened her eyes and she was in the forest again, the fires burning all around her, the yowls of cats surrounding her, piercing her ears. She saw two shadowy figures walking forward through the flames, they opened their jaws and 

Her eyes snapped open, she was in the medicine cat den, Lakeclaw peering down at her nervously. Mosstail was behind him, looking more curious than anything. 

"What happened?"

"I don't know, I just fell and had a weird dream."

"A weird dream? Can you leave us in peace, Lakeclaw?" Lakeclaw nodded and left the den, walking out to the camp. When she was out of earshot, Mosstail started up again, "What was your dream about?" Mosstail asks earnestly.

"Well," Hawthornepaw starts, "I was in the forest, but it was on fire. And I could hear the cats around me yelling but I couldn't move or speak. I've actually had this part of the dream before, when I got hurt, but I had a new part this time. Two shadowy figures of cats and they were about to start talking, but then I woke up."

Mosstail thinks for a second, "Wait here." He walks out of the den and over to Lakeclaw and they start talking, Hawthornepaw tries to overhear but she can't make it out. Soon, they both walk back over to her, Lakeclaw's head is drooping and her eyes look sad. 

"I've been talking with Mosstail and he thinks that you should become a medicine cat apprentice, all the signs point to that. You're skill with the herbs, having this vision, I think he might be right. If you're ok with this we'll inform Pebblestar." Hawthornepaw gulps, she's always dreamed of becoming a warrior, she was already a great hunter and fighter, and she knew that she and her littermates were about to be tested, she had seen Lakeclaw, Lilypelt, and Breezecloud talking to Pebblestar and they had been excited, thinking that they'd soon become warriors. Also, what about Nightsky? She was hoping that they could maybe eventually become mates, they would definitely have been one of the strongest couples in the clan, and he was one of the sweetest and funniest cats she'd ever met, and she knew that if she became a medicine cat she would have no hope of being mates with him. But she could feel the pull of being a medicine cat, she knew that's what she needed to do. She knew that it was more than just a coincidence, and she knew those dreams seemed like more than dreams. 

She sighed, "I guess you can talk to her, I really wish I could be a warrior but I understand why I should be a medicine cat." Lakeclaw flicks her tail, her eyes still sad.

"It was a pleasure training you, you would have made a fine warrior someday, but you have to do what's best for the Clan, and it that's becoming a medicine cat, then I support you all the way." Hawthornepaw nods in recognition, and walks over to her, licking her shoulder.

"Thank you for being such an amazing mentor." 

Lakeclaw nuzzles her back, "Of course, and I'm here for you whenever you want to talk." Lakeclaw and Hawthornepaw exchange one last look and Lakeclaw walks over to the leader's den, obviously to talk with Pebblestar about Hawthornepaw. 

"I'll go join them, you can go whenever you want now, just stand up slowly, you might still be unsteady after that vision." Hawthornepaw flicks her tail in acknowledgment and Mosstail follows after Lakeclaw to go talk with Pebblestar. Hawthornepaw slowly stands up and leaves the den, padding over to Nightsky, wanting to savor her last moments with him before becoming a medicine cat.

"Hey, Nightsky." Hawthornepaw meows, sitting down next to him. He turns to her, his eyes shimmering with happiness.

"Hey, Hawthornepaw. How are you, we heard you collapsed?" She couldn't keep the truth from him.

"Yeah, about that," she said, ducking her head, "apparently it was a vision and they want me to be a medicine cat." 

Nightsky gulps, "So, are you doing it?"

"Yeah," Hawthornepaw said, "I have to do what's best for my clan. I'm so sorry." He reaches over and nuzzles her softly.

"It's ok, I know that you will always do what's best for the Clan. That's what I love about you."

Hawthornepaw leans into him, "I love you, too, Nightsky." 

"Hawthornepaw!" Pebblestar calls out. She flicks her tail goodbye to Nightsky and she heads over to the leader, her tail quivering nervously.

"Get some sleep. Tomorrow is half-moon, you're going to head to Moonstone for your apprentice ceremony. I'm glad that Mosstail found an apprentice," she leaned in closer to her ears, "between you and me, he's getting a little old."

"Hey, I heard that!" Mosstail calls out, and Pebblestar's eyes flash with amusement. 

Hawthornepaw mrows in laughter. "Ok, thank you."

"Of course, may StarClan guide your paws."

Hawthornepaw nods her head in respect and walks back to her den. She sees Silverpaw and Brushpaw and tells them what happened. She can tell that they are sort of disappointed that she won't get her warrior name with them, but they support her, letting her know that they are glad that she is supporting the Clan. She curls up in her nest one last time, falling into a restless sleep, fretting about the journey to Moonpool and wishing that she could still be a warrior.