Shield 6.1- Lamps and rooftops

Nel approached Charlotte and gingerly tugged at the sleeve of her sweater. "Ceecee, I need help," she whined; her serious face disconnected from her playful voice.

"What the hell! Even you call me that now?" Charlotte said, pulling her sweater free. "Please compose yourself and show me some damn respect."

"Lady president ma'am, please help me," Nel continued.

"That's better. I am at your service," Charlotte said with a small reverence.

"Can you lend me some money," Nel begged.

Charlotte frowned at her, acting hurt. "You have some nerve to ask ME, of all people, for money."

"Who else can I ask?" Nel complained. "Shun is as broke as we are, and Oli is not in town."

"Don't be a coward. Just call your dad," Charlotte recommended, rolling her eyes.

"Tried. The old bastard won't even pick up," Nel pouted.

"You're exaggerating," Charlotte said.

"His secretary blocked my number," Nel added dramatically.

"what about your husband-to-be?" Charlotte asked.

"I told you, Shun is broke," Nel said.

Charlotte laughed out loud, straight into Nel's confused face. "I meant Milo, not your crazy stalker. The real deal," she said.

"Oh!" Nel exclaimed, and that was all she could say. The joke was getting a bit out of hand if she could not separate it from her daily life.

"Why do you need the money?" Charlotte asked her.

"... I want to buy a... a lamp," Nel said shyly.

"A lamp? Like a desk lamp," Charlotte said, confused.

"Yeah... Shun's apartment only has one lightbulb and it gets dark. Come on, I would ask Sammi for the money, but I would pay every cent in sweat," Nel said with a shudder.

"Hot," Charlotte said with a grimace.

"I'm serious!" Nel shrieked. "She's crazy!"

"Coming from you, that's rich," Charlotte kidded.

"Please!!" Nel begged.

"I don't have money, but I have something better," Charlotte said with a wide smile.

"OK," Nel said, dubious.

"I have a lamp," Charlotte told her, a proud expression on her face.

"What?" Nel said.

"Yeah, in the storage room of the student council," Charlotte told her. "We have all the furniture that the school gets rid of when they remodel. I can't really "give" it to you, but I can "lend it" to you with the promise that you will give it back. You will give it, back right?"

"...Sure!" Nel said with a childish smile. "Sure, I will."

"Perfect!" Charlotte beamed. "You can walk me to the council room after class."

Nel smiled, lowering her glance to the ground. It was a warm smile, a simple happy smile, and Charlotte felt touched by the placid expression. She threw her arms around Nel and hugged her in tight. "Am I the best or what?" Charlotte announced triumphantly.

"Matchless!" Nel complimented her. "The cream of the crop." They both laughed light-heartedly. They laughed, their youthfulness painting a smile.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------