Ch.4 Howls in the night

I suddenly woke up in the forest or at least I think I'm in the forest, but it's too dark to see anything. I look around me hoping to see something familiar when something strange suddenly stands out to me. I focus all of my attention on it and realize it's a pair of eyes, but they're not normal eyes. These eyes are a dark red, almost like a blood red. I took a step back and stumbled over something. I looked down to see what I'd tripped over, I opened my mouth and screamed. It was my mom's body laying in a puddle of blood. My gaze locked onto her cold dead eyes. I woke up screaming, my entire body was shaking from fear. I was starting to hyperventilate when Alec burst into the room like there was a fire.

"What's wrong?! Are you hurt?!" He asked, looking around the room like he was about to attack something.

I started to tell him I was fine, but I was shaking too bad to speak. I looked into his eyes, so filled with concern, and I burst into tears. He reached down and scooped me up as if I weighed nothing. I felt myself being suddenly lifted and it surprised me causing me to let out a small I squeal. Which was weird because that's definitely not me. I'm not a squealer. He chuckled and sat down on the bed with his arms still wrapped around me, one of his hands rested on top of my head. I held onto him like he was my lifeline to reality.

"I—I—... it was just a bad dream... I think... but it just felt so real!" I said, I buried my face in his chest, his arms pulled me closer.

"It's ok," he said softly. I looked up at him, a tear slowly trailed down my cheek .

"I know that now," I said, with a small sad smile, wiping it away. I sighed and slowly pulled away from him, "Well, ummm, I'll be fine now. I'm sorry for waking you up," I said with a hint of blush, feeling slightly embarrassed.

He unwrapped himself from me and stood up, I layed back against the pillows. He started to head back to bed, then I felt an electric shock run up my hand. I couldn't describe the feelings running through me, but they really scared me. I quickly pulled my hand away. When I looked at Alec's face I saw a flash of hurt, there one second and gone the next.

"Sorry I didn't mean to scare you," he said, before looking away.

I slowly took his hand in mine, I felt the spark again, and almost let go, "Is there a reason you wanted to hold my hand?" I asked shyly.

He nodded and shifted his weight from one foot to the other.

"I was wondering if you wanted me to stay here with you."

I raised an eyebrow. He blushed and looked away like he was trying to hide his face. I giggled, he was so confident one minute and shy the next. A big grin spread across his face like he'd won something special.

"So? Do you want me to sleep with you?" he asked.

I giggled even harder. He suddenly realized what he'd said and blushed even redder.

"N—not like that! I mean just sleeping, nothing else I swear—," he stammered, but I just couldn't hold it anymore. I burst into laughter.

"It's ok, you don't really need to explain yourself. I understood what you meant." I said, then tugged on his hand and scooted over in the bed.

I felt him get into the bed, then I felt his arms around me and he pulled me closer. "Goodnight," he said huskily, then he was out like a light. I smiled and slowly fell asleep, but this time I didn't have any bad dreams.

-Dreaming-

"Elena."

"Elena."

"Elena."

I stirred at the sound of my name and slowly opened my eyes. I was back in the dark forest. How had I gotten back here?

"Elena."

Once again someone was calling for me, but who? And where were they? What did they want from me? It was still too dark to see anything. Did the sun never shine here?

"Elena."

It was the same woman as before. Should I answer? What was the harm? If I couldn't see them then they couldn't see me right? But then how did she know my name? I also got the feeling she wasn't alone.

"Elena."

"What? What do you want? How do you know my name? Why are you calling to me?"

"Are you safe? Did you find the wolves?" She asked, ignoring my questions.

"The what? Wolves? Why would I find wolves? How would that be safe?" I asked confused.

This was strange. This was a dream. Of course! I was dreaming!

"Elena?"

"I'm safe, but I don't know anything about any wolves. A man named Alec found me. I think I'm safe with him, but I can't stay. I have to find my mom. I have to find my son."

There was silence for awhile and I thought maybe the dream had faded. Then I heard her voice again. This time it sounded extremely sad, and slightly strained, almost like she was getting tired.

"You have a son? I'm so sorry Elena. I didn't know," she sounded almost mournful.

"Sorry? Why are you sorry? I love my son, he's my whole world," I bristled, ready to jump to his defense.

"Because... I think he's in very grave danger."

"What! Why? Why would my two year old be in danger?" I asked, trying to keep from panicking.

"You have to find him Elena. Trust the wolf. He will help you. He will keep you safe until I come for you."

"But I told you, I don't know any wolf!" I said, almost sobbing in my own frustration.

She went silent again, and then I felt everything start to fade away. I heard her say it again before it was all gone.

"Trust the wolf, he will help you. Trust the wolf."

AN- Mystery person!!! Thoughts? Don't forget to vote!