A Miraculous Discovery

The Willoughby children watched from the attic window as their parents boarded a taxi, and drove away, bringing almost half the house with them. For a moment, they were silent. Adrien's eyes widened. If he was being honest, he ha doubted it would work.

Of course, he forgot how weak-minded his parents were.

"They're gone." Marinette breathed, a tingle of excitement growing in her belly. A smile started to spread across her face. "We...are...orphans."

"We..." Alya breathed.

"Are..." Nino continued. They glanced at each other for a moment.

"FREE!!!" The twins jumped off the hammock that served as their brother's bed, and landed squarely on the floor. Marinette went after them, screaming gleefully. Adrien chuckled nervously. he was so used to his way of life that he wasn't sure what to think. He didn't even notice he was losing his balance until he fell off his hammock....About twenty feet off the ground.

They went crazy. The twins swung from the chandelier. Marinette stomped across the table, singing at the top of her lungs with no one to tell her to shut up. Adrien decided to join in the fun, but he wasn't very good at it. He fell on his face multiple times.

The foursome ran wild through the house, rolling on the carpet and laughing away. Adrien led his siblings to the mast bedroom, and still laughing, they through open the doors...only to freeze upon seeing their parents bedroom. Their parent's portrait up on the wall. Adrien and Marinette glanced at each other, and for a moment, they second guessed. Did they dare?

The next thing they knew, they were all jumping on the bed, having the time of their lives.

Adrien followed after his younger siblings, playing with them, as they chased after the twins' dirigible, before flopping onto the armchair. It was nice to just be silly with his younger sisters and brother. While catching his breath, he glanced up at another portrait of their parents. He frowned, and his forehead wrinkled in thought...

The door of the coal bin opened, and there stood...the portrait of Audrey and Andre. Adrien gave one god chuck, before it finally went tumbling down into the coal bin. "You are punished!" He laughed, slamming the door.

He was the man of the house now. And he had a great responsibility. And a great idea...

"Hey guys!" At the sound of their big brother, Marinette and the twins snapped to attention. Adrien walked into the library sitting room, holding a box in his hands. "Look what Mother and Father forgot to take with them." The box was shaped like a hexagon, with red markings on it. The four of them crowded around. Marinette's eyes widened. the twins gasped. "Mother's jewelry box."

"This," Adrien smiled, "Has been passed down from generation to generation. It was our great great grandfathers', our great grandfather's, our grandfather's, and our fathers,"

"We all remember the story of Wang Fu." Marinette agreed, cautiously reaching out, and stroking it softly.

"Now," Adrien's grinned widely. "it is ours. WE are the Willoughby's now."

"What's inside it?" Marinette's curiosity knew no bounds.

Luckily, Adrien was thinking the same thing. "it must be something great. For a great family." He reasoned, reaching out, and gripping a small handle in the back of the box. When he pulled it, it went down to reveal a bunch of buttons.

"Ooh, buttons!" The twins chorused excitedly. Adrien and Marinette shared a glance at each other while the twins fooled with them. This wasn't what they had been expecting. How were they supposed to figure out the code?

"Got it, Adrien." The twins' fiddling had paid off. Three buttons were pushed, and the box began to move. Drawers popped out of it's sides, and the top flew open to reveal a bunch of different colored sections, each on housing a piece of jewelry.

 The jewelry sparkled in the sunlight. The Willoughbys stared at them, completely in awe. For a moment, Marinette forgot about everything else, and began to reach for the earrings.

"Oh no!" Adrien grabbed her wrist. "if anyone's going to touch these, it's me! We don't know what these are!"

"Oh come on, Adrien!" Marinette stressed. "They're earrings!"

"but, they are WILLOUGHBY earrings!" Adrien reminded her. "They might do something incredible!"

Marinette rolled her eyes, but sat back anyway, pouting as she watched her brother inspect the jewelry. Finally, he selected a black ring, and slipped it onto his finger, experimentally.

His eyes suddenly widened, filled with sparkling energy. "I knew it....something is about to happen." Marinette rolled her eyes. "Adrien stop being so cryptic."

"I'm not! I can feel something happening-!" Just as the sentence left his mouth, the ring flashed. A ball of light flew out, and flew around Adrien's head. It finally settled down, and faded. In it's place, floated a small black creature.

"A cat?" Adrien recoiled, confused. The cat glanced up at him. "Hey kid. Why the face?"

"WHa-! Who are you?" Adrien demanded, as his siblings jumped behind him. He held them back, protectively. Marinette peered over his shoulder. "A mouse! A bug! A bug-mouse!"

"I'm not a bug-mouse, I'm a Kwami." The cat explained lazily, floating nonchalantly in the air. "Name's Plagg. And You are?"

Adrien got over his initial shock, just for a moment. "Adrien. Adrien Willoughby."

"Ah, another Willoughby, eh? I remember your great great granddad. Such a guy!" Plagg chuckled, and floated upside down in front of them. Adrien knelt down to his level. "So...Are you like, a genie or something?"

"No, genies come out of lamps. Kwamis come out of jewelry." Marinette frowned, and pulled her necklace out of her dress, rubbing it fiercely. Plagg rolled his eyes. "Special jewelry! The box you've got there? it's a Miracle Box. And those Jewels are called Miraculous."

Adrien inspected the ring. "This ring...is a Miraculous?"

"Yep. The Miraculous of the black cat." Plagg narrowed his eyes at them. "How'd a bunch of kids get it?"

"Hey, we're Willoughby kids!" Adrien snapped back. "This was passed down from generation to generation!"

"Yeah, but that means ADULT generation!" Plagg fired at him. "We are your parents?"

While they argued, Marinette curiously reached down, and clipped on the earrings. Another ball of light flew out, this one fading into a red being with black spots. she yawned, and uncurled herself, before smiling at the sight. "Hello, are you my new owner?"

Marinette gasped. "Another one."

"Tikki, careful. These are just kids. They don't know the power of the Miraculous."

Tikki put her hands on her hips. "Then I guess we'll have to teach them. Although," She frowned. "Wouldn't your parents have taught you?"

"Well..." Adrien began. A knock in the yard silenced him.

The four siblings, accompanied by the two kwamis, rushed down the stairs, and peered through the window. "I don't see anything." Adrien mumbled....just in time to be crushed by the door. A lady wearing glasses and a black suit barged in. "Hello!"

"Stranger danger!" The twins cried, hiding behind Marinette.

"trespasser!" Adrien yelled behind the door. The woman put a finger to his lips through the glass. "Fear not, skinny, tanned boy," She turned to the other three, and played with her umbrella. "For I am your nanny!"

"No, I'm in charge." Adrien protested.