Ch. 9: Late Night Shopping Spree

"I'm going out tonight.", James said as he looked over himself in the mirror. He hoped that the outfit he picked out was good enough. What does one even wear to a casino?
From his phone, Sirius' voice replied, "Tonight? I don't remember making any plans."
"Not with you, idiot. With...Diana", He's recently taken a habit of hesitating before saying her name out loud. His friends might think he was nervous about starting a new relationship, but it was really a reminder of much he wasn't telling them. How much he was lying.
"Right your new girlfriend.", Sirius said, "You know I just realized we barely know anything about her."
'For good reason', James thought, "What do you wanna know?".
"This is your first date after Lily, Prongs. I want to know everything."
"Well I can't tell you everything. We're still figuring things out.", James grabbed his jacket and put it on, then ran a hand through his already messy hair.

"She's...well she's very determined and strong willed. But she's also vulnerable and is willing to admit when she needs help.", he couldn't help but start to grin like an idiot. Good thing Sirius wasn't actually here, "She's also smart and charming and clever. Beautiful too, just amazing in every-"
"Ok that's enough I'm gonna stop you right there.", Sirius interrupted, "I meant like what her last name is or what her favorite color was. I wasn't asking for you to gush your feelings out."
James chuckled, "You should've specified then.", he grabbed his phone from where it was sitting on the dresser, "Gotta go. Don't want to be late."
"Good luck. Use protection!", his best friend called out before hanging up. Jame sighed in both amusement and annoyance, put his phone in his pocket, then headed out to the same spot where him and Diana talked just a few days ago.
***

Upon seeing him, Diana raised an eyebrow, "What are you wearing?"
Confused, James glanced down at the outfit he chose, simple and comfortable, "Um. Clothes?"
Diana sighed and grabbed his arm, "Come on."
"Where are we going?"
"My apartment. We're fixing this mess now."
"Wait.", James stopped walking, forcing her to stop as well, "What happened to 'the less we know the better'?"
She paused, then smacked her hand against her forehead, "I'm such an idiot. Right, no apartment.", she looked around the block, "But I do know where we can go instead. Follow me". She turned and started to walk across the street. James paused, but then followed, jogging a bit to catch up.

By now he noticed what Diana was wearing. A long black dress that went down to her ankles with see through sleeves that were accompanied with floral designs. Her hair was down, but lighter and her eyes were a soft brown instead of her usual black. Her cheeks looked to have a bit more color in them and then James realized that she changed her appearance and he probably should've done the same. Thankful that she caught his mistake before it was too late, he followed her into a clothing store with a sign that said "Talkalot's". On the window written in bright letters was the word "closed".
"In here.", Diana said.
"It's closed", James argued, pointing out the already obvious sign.
"I know the owner, we'll be fine.", she opened the door and led him straight to a changing room, "Wait here.", was all she said before disappearing behind the curtain.

As James waited, he tapped his foot against the floor. 'I should leave', he thought, 'I should get out while I still can, call the deal off, and deal with the consequences'. He found that he couldn't, rather, he didn't want to. He generally wanted to help her. It was odd, it's been such a long time since he's cared about anyone besides the Marauders. Ever since his parents died it has been the five of them against the world, then it was the four of them. He should be terrified, and he is a little bit, but he's also quite excited where his heart will take him next.

Soon enough, a hand peaked through the curtain holding a hanger that was being occupied by a purple suit with a black design on the jacket.
"Put this on.", her voice called.
James took it without argument and silently changed.
"You sure we won't get arrested for breaking and entering and/or stealing?", he asked as he examined himself in the mirror. Not bad.
"I already called Lucinda, she said it was alright. And I'm paying her for the suit anyway.", Diana replied, "Are you done yet?"
"Yeah."
"I'm coming in."
The assassin entered the changing room and froze. James noticed her eyes trailing up and down his body and he'll be lying if he didn't say that made him a bit pleased.
"Like what you see?"
Diana's red face met his wide grin, "Sit down."
James shrugged and sat down on the tiled floor.
"I meant on the bench but ok that'll do."

She sat down right in front of him and took out a makeup palette.
"Stay still.", she ordered and got to work. For the first few minutes the two of them sat there in awkward silence as Diana altered his appearance.
"So...", James said, "What do you do for fun?"
"This again?", she gave him a judgemental look.
He shrugged again, "Why not?"
She rolled his eyes, "Reading mostly. Haven't had much free time lately but when I do it's usually spent with books."
"Not friends? Do you even have friends?"
"Yes I do. Lucinda, the owner of this store, is one. Along with my cousin, and a few others."
"Really? I just got the other Marauders."
She looked surprised at this, "Is that so? You seem like the kind of guy who would have tons of friends."
"I mean I was in high school, and I still do keep in touch with some of them every now a then", James replied, thinking of Frank and Alice, "But in this line of work, the more people who know you the more dangerous it is for both them and you."
"That couldn't be more true.", she paused, makeup brush in mid stroke, "How did this become your line of work in the first place? If you don't mind me asking."

"I don't. My, uh, my parents died and, well, without their financial support I had to drop out of school.", James still remembers that day in vivid detail. One year into university, showing great promise, until he got that dreaded phone call. He remembers the funeral, the pity, the bruise on Sirius' face after a drunk night four days into his grieving. "I got involved with some shady people and was approached with a name and some cash. One job turned into two and then before I knew it, I'm a hitman for hire and so are my friends."

"I'm sorry to hear that.", Diana said.
"Don't be.", James gave her a small smile, "It's not your fault. Besides, it was years ago. What about you? What dragged you into the hellshow?"
She looked down, "I was born into the hellshow actually. My family has been involved with organized crime since forever. They're all horrible, horrible people and I just know I have to stop them. But I can't do that as myself so-"
"So you became someone else."
She nodded, "Yeah. Exactly."
"That's very brave of you.", James' heart fluttered when her smile became bigger and more genuine, "Are all of them bad? Every single one?"
"The problem is that most of the decent people left, were disowned, or both. That happened to one of my cousins and...", she looked down, "My brother."

Now James was intrigued, "You have a brother?"
"Technically I'm supposed to pretend he's dead, but I don't.", Diana said, "He was much smarter, figured out that our family was literally the worst and left before any of their bullshit permanently damaged him. I wasn't so lucky."
"He left you?", James never met this man before, but he already wanted to punch him.
Seeing his expression, she put a hand on his shoulder to relax him, "I don't blame him, not anymore at least. He offered to take me with him, but this was when I blindly followed our father, so I refused. He left to save himself, and I fully understand why he did it."
"Do you still miss him", the anger has subsided, replaced with sympathy.
"Of course I do. But life moves on and it's like you said. It was years ago."

The silence that followed was worse than the last. James wanted to apologize, or bring up a new topic, or just say something to make her laugh and lighten the mood. He liked her laugh.
"There.", Diana said, closing the makeup palette, "Come look."
She stood up and dragged him to his feet, then made him face the mirror.
A "Woah" escaped James' lips. She had done wonders. The makeup created the appearance of a stronger jawline, a more noticeable Adam's apple, and a narrower nose. She also tamed his wild hair, not slicking it back like he did the first time they met, rather making it look like the mess was intended, a controlled chaos.
"You look amazing.", she said.
"All thanks to you.", he replied, turning to face her. Diana took her hand in his.
"Well darling, it's time we get going.", an almost feral smile spread across her lips. The kind of smile he loved so much, "The cards await."