Chapter 13

(Y/n)'s POV

A smile spread across my lips as I saw Daniel walking towards me. He was also smiling, though as he stepped closer I noticed that he looked pretty.. well, tired. His bleached hair was much more tousled than usually, and the dark circles beneath his eyes were impossible to overlook.

,,Hey stranger.” I greeted him. 

,,Good morning, you’re some kind of dog rescuer or something? This is the second time I’ve lost my dog and you bring her back to me safe and sound.” The boy commented with a grin on his face.

,,Yeah well, I’d like to remember you that the first time you probably thought I was kidnapping her instead of rescuing her.” I responded jokingly while handing him over the sleeping pup.

,,Yeah.. I gotta say it kinda looked like that at first. Anyways, thanks for bringing her. Where did you find her?” 

,,Believe it or not, when I got up this morning I found her sleeping at my doorsteps.” I explained.

,,That’s unusual.. she normally always comes back home after getting lost.”

,,Guess she found herself a second home then.” I teased.

,,Wow, you sure you’re not planning on kidnapping her?”

,,Hmm.. I think I’d rather spend some time with her and her owner.” 

That cute half-smile of his, the one that already made my heart skip a beat the first time I saw it, was playing on his lips as he casually leaned against the wall. ,,Is that so?”

,,Well, I wouldn’t have given you my number if that wasn’t the case.” I laughed kind of nervously.

,,Right, so.. do you wanna come in? I’ve already had breakfast but I’m sure you’ll find something tasty on the menu that you haven’t tried yet.” He said while wiggling with his eyebrows, knowing how much I’ve enjoyed the Chilaquiles I had the last time we came here.

,,Aw tempting offer, but sadly I gotta go to work. I don’t necessarily wanna be late again..” 

,,Ah I see, maybe another time.”

,,Definitely. Okay so, I’ll see you around.”

,,Yeah, see you.” He waved goodbye and went back inside. 

I stood still for a moment and watched the boy leave, which he seemed to have noticed because after a few steps he turned around and looked at me again, smiling before he disappeared completely behind the counter.

Half an hour later I arrived at my workplace, La Concha. Being honest I wasn't too excited about working today. Guess that's because it's Friday, the last day of the week. Or perhaps because as soon as I entered the café I already saw Jose sitting near the counter enjoying his drink. Ugh I don't think I'll ever get rid of him. On top of that he was pretty much the only one here, except for an older fisherman who was eating his breakfast. 

Unfortunately Jose couldn’t let me walk by without making a stupid remark.

,,Hey nena, didn’t you bring your boyfriend today?”

Annoyed I turned around. ,,My what?”

,,Hahah so he isn’t your boyfriend. Good for me.”

,,Who?” I asked even more irritated.

,,Ah c’mon chica, don’t act like you don’t know who I’m talking about. The Lone Wolf.”

,,Excuse me, what the hell are you talking about?” 

Jose scratched his forehead in confusion. \\Damn.. she really doesn’t know.\\

Huh? I don’t know what? 

,,Uh.. The.. The blond boy from the beach..” He continued to talk.

,,He-”

,,You mean Daniel? No, he is not my boyfriend, I barely know him. And no, that doesn’t give you an excuse to keep on hitting on me.”

I expected a bold response from Jose. But instead he just stared at me in shock. ,,Ay dios..” He mumbled.

Shaking my head I went behind the counter to put on my working clothes. What is up with this guy? First he was like super scared of Daniel and now he refers to him as the Lone Wolf.. 

As he had done so many times before, my coworker interrupted my thoughts. ,,Buenos días, you alright?”

,,Hey, uh.. yeah I’m good why?” 

,,You seem to be thinking..”

,,Well, yeah some people like to think, Sergio.”

,,Oh, ha ha.” He laughed sarcastically.

Unlike usual, there was not so much going on in the café today. And to my surprise Jose didn’t even try to bother me anymore. Kinda weird if I think about it. In the end we were all able to leave a little earlier. So I grabbed my bag and headed home. 

When I got there I found Rosa on her patio, hanging up the laundry. She smiled as she saw me arriving. ,,Hola, mi niña.”

,,Hey, Rosa.” 

,,Did you finish your shift earlier today?” She asked in surprise.

,,Yes, there weren’t too many guests there today..” I explained.

,,Ah I see, do you want to come inside? I’m about to make some Empanadas for lunch.”

I smiled, shaking my head slightly. ,,Thanks, but I think it’s time that I finally get started on.. something.” 

She gave me an encouraging smile and nodded. ,,Yes, good luck.”

,,Thank you..” I answered and went into my little flat.

By “it’s time that I finally get started on something.” I meant that it’s time that I start to look for my family, since they are the reason I came here in the first place. 

Rosa is the only one who knows this, that I was adopted, that I had a massive argument with my foster parents, to say the least. And that because of it I ran away to Mexico, to find out who my real parents are. 

She doesn’t know the whole story of course, just a brief version of it. Since I can’t tell her that I got the power of mind reading, which was the spark that caused this “massive argument” that made me run away from home. 

Now that I’m here though, I’ve realized that finding my family isn’t going to be easy.. not at all. All I have is a picture of my mother and her name. Maria (Y/l/n).. 

Maybe it was a reckless decision to come here without speaking the language, without knowing anyone and most of all without knowing where to start looking for my parents. I just kept procrastinating and found excuses of why I couldn’t search for them yet, all because I had no clue of where to begin. 

But I gotta start at some point, and that point is today. 

A/n: Hey, so I hope you liked this chapter ^_^
I just recently saw that this story reached 1k reads and well that's kind of a huge number lol so I wanted to thank anyone who reads, votes and commets on here, I seriously appreciate it. (I really do, it makes my day to see that some people actually enjoy my writing :'-))

Oh and btw I published a new book where I'll be writing some lis one-shots, uploaded the first one yesterday. Check that out as well if you want <33