The Lake

Disclaimer- all the characters (except Rosalin) and the ideas are James Dashners. :P
//AN- seriously struggling with chapter names here. Also I've just started reading The Scorch Trials so I do apologise if I get a few things mixed up. Picture is of Minho watching Rosie when she's talking to Rob!//

"Rosie, Rosie, what's wrong? What does it say?" Newts British accent broke my thoughts. Wait... British? What is that? "Uh.. nothing." I said but I knew he didn't fall for it. "We better go check on Robbie again but don't say too much okay?" I started to walk back to the Homestead, Newt right behind me.

Robert was still in the corner where he had been when we left. He looked petrified as before, but when I smiled at him he seemed to relax a little. He was young, maybe about Chucks age. "Alby give you the tour yet?" I asked, trying to hide the quiver in my voice but judging by Minho's face I wasn't doing a very good job. "Ah... no..." "It's too late now," Alby said gruffly, glaring at me. I glared back, I was sick of his mood swings. "Well then, you hungry kiddo?" I asked, refusing to call him Greenie. "Uh kind of," "Well then let's go get some of Frypans best," I said jumping out of my seat and beckoning him to follow. I could feel Minho watching me all the way out. "How did she get him to talk?" Alby asked as we walked out the door. A small smile played on my lips. "They all look up to you y'know," Robert said, I'd almost forgotten he was there. "Oh yeah?" "Yeah." a thought suddenly occurred to me. "Is it okay if I call you Rob?" "Uh.. yeah sure." I smiled at him again. Chuck was sitting on his own inside the kitchen. "Hey, Chuckie," I said sitting down beside him. "This is Robert, Rob this is Chuck. I'll leave you boys too it I have some stuff I must do." I left before they could object. I felt bad but what could I do.

~~~~~~~

Once I was out of sight of the rest of the boys, I ran to the lake. I dropped to my knees and vomited. Once I stopped I felt weak and shaken. My blanket was still there from the night before so I wrapped it around me. I wanted to cry, but there was no tears left, I was just full of rage. Rob was innocent. Why would they want me to do that?

"I knew there was something up," Minho said walking out of the forest. "This time you have to tell me, I won't take no for an answer." "Minho I - " "don't say you can't okay? Rosie I'm so worried about you. You've become my little sister here and I don't want anything to happen to you," his usual sarcasm was replaced with a fierceness that frightened me. I gave him a hug. "Thank you," I whispered. I felt his strong arms hug me back. I wonder is this what it's like to have a big brother.

"Gowan spill," he said. So I did, well not really. I told him about the note and about Rob being Newts brother. He pursed his lips "that's quiet a pickle you're in." "No shuck," I responded sarcastically. He punched me in the arm. "Ow," I squealed laughing in his face. "What are you going to do?" The mood turned grave again. "I don't know, what can I do?" I answered sadly. "I'll do it for you if you want? I don't like the idea of it but what's one life to save 50?" "What Minho? You can't be serious! We can't kill him, that will make us just as bad as those shuck Creators and I can't have that. I'll figure out a way to get us all out of here without having to kill another Glader." I would, no I HAD to, get these boys out of here, no matter how shuck headed some of them could be I had to do it. Minho chuckled at me "you're quiet scary for someone so small." I punched him in the arm. Hard. "And don't you forget it," I winked at him. "Don't tell anyone else about the note Minho, please." "I wont," he promised and left me there by the lake.

It was dark now and I was getting restless. I was hungry but I knew if I ate I'd only be sick again. The lake looked pretty inviting so I went in. I stripped down to my underwear and slid into the cool water. At first the cold stung like a slap in the face, but once I got used to it, it was nice. The lake wasn't too deep, I couldn't stand at the bottom but it wasn't too far below my feet either. I just floated there for a while, not thinking about anything. That is until I heard rustling in the trees. "Shuck," I mumbled, swimming over to the edge and climbing out the water. I grabbed my knife. "Who's there?" I shouted into the darkness. "Relax and put down that bloody knife, it's just me." "Newt you slint head you almost gave me a heart attack." Shuck I'd only my underwear on. The lake was closer to me than my clothes so I jumped back in, the cold numbing my body.

Newt came out the trees. "Enjoying yourself?" He asked sarcastically. "Yeah loving life," I responded. "Mind if I join you?" "Work away," I swam out to the middle of the lake. Newt began to take of his clothes, leaving only his jocks on. His body, legs, arms, chest, everywhere was defined with cut muscle. I was glad for the darkness so he couldn't see my face turned various shades of crimson. "I'm coming," he shouted cannonballing into the lake. He landed with a splash, spraying cold water into my face. "Oi, watch it," I screamed. "Don't like a bit of water?" He teased swimming closer to me. "That's why I came her in the first place, cause I hate water," I said matching his sarcastic tone. "Oh really?" He raised his eyebrow. He grabbed my shoulders and dragged me under the water with him. "Stop," I squealed but it was muffled by the water. Newt swam away from me again.

"Whatcha doing over there?" He teased. "That's it," I yelled back at him. I lunged forward and grabbed his leg, pulling him back to me, "your turn," I winked, dunking him under the same way he did to me, but he was expecting it. He grabbed my hips. "I don't think so," he said and pulled me closer. Our noses were about an inch away. I could feel his breath on my face, warm and minty. I looked up at him and he was looking down at me. His arms snuck around my waist and I had unconsciously put mine on his chest. Shuck, what was going on, I thought. Then without warning, although it was pretty obvious, he kissed me. His lips were soft against mine. His hands were strong on my back, supporting me in the water. Wait a second, I thought, I'm in a lake, half naked, with a boy, who possibly doomed us all. He stopped kissing me. "What's wrong?" He asked, concern filled his eyes. "I.. ah.. uh.. I.. nothing," I said. Neither of us moved. "We should.. uhm... probably get out of here," I said. Gosh why am I so awkward. "Yeah sure," he said, "you first," he winked at me. "Fine but don't look," I said, but I knew he wouldn't listen. I jumped out the water and threw my blanket over me as fast as possible. "Your turn," I called. "No fair, I don't have a blanket." "Tough klunk," I answered. Newt came out the water and turned his back while I changed. The blanket dried fast in the breeze.. why was there a bloody breeze here? STOP SAYING BLOODY, I mentally scolded myself.

I sat down by the log again and have Newt the blanket to dry himself. He came back moments later. "Didn't need it," he said, sitting down next to me. He put the blanket over both of us. "I'm sorry if what happened there, well.. uhm.. I'm sorry if you didn't want it to but uh... with everything that's been going on lately I uh...." I held up m hand to stop him. "It's fine Newt don't worry about it," I said smiling. I could feel him relax a bit behind me. He put his arms around me, not in a very provocative way, but kind of like friends would. "Hey Rosie?" He asked. "Yeah." "You know you can tell me anything right? I know after everything you might not want to but I just want you to know you can and I'll always be there for you." "Thanks Newt." I said. I hated how the boys depended on me so much. I know they think I'm their way out, but what happens if I disappoint them? I can only hope I'll find a way out before the Creators find something to send in.