Cadnis

Coffee Shop AU

Janis' POV:

Even after being a barista at the same coffee shop for a year, I still wasn't used to how attractive women were. I'd occasionally get a man ask me out but never a woman. I'd occasionally ask women out but their homophobia would kick in after a few seconds.

At was October 3rd, and it was extremely cold. I may have been inside in the warm but I still had my jacket wrapped tightly around my body over my apron. Then the bell jingled and she walked in. They first thing I noticed was her stunning red hair, and how it was falling over her ears in such a perfect fashion. And then I noticed her beautiful grey eyes, her few freckles on her nose, her rosy cheeks from the cold, and her sense of style being immaculate. She was beautiful. She walked up to me and took off her gloves.

"Can I have a black coffee please? For the name Cady" She asked. I didn't expect someone so sweet looking to enjoy such a bitter drink, but oh well. I smiled at her and nodded.

"Cold isn't it." I said. I'm awful at small talk. She giggled, and her nose scrunched up slightly when she did. It was cute.

"Cold is an understatement." She replied, rubbing her hands together in an attempt to keep warm. I finished pouring her coffee and put the lid on. I wrote her name in large black letters. Cady. Pretty name. I then looked at her again. She seemed to some extent gay. Fuck, what if shes not gay?! Fuck it, she looks gay, in writing it. So in smaller black letters I wrote: "is it hot in here or is it just you". You know, for the laughs. She thanked me and walked to a table. I watched as her eyes skimmed the sentence. She giggled and a slight blush appeared on her cheeks. I smiled and brushed my hands together. My work here is done.

This happened every day for a few weeks. The pickup lines consisted of:

"Do you like Star Wars, because Yoda only one for me"-

"If you were a vegetable you'd be a cutecumber."-

-and...

"Are you a bank loan, cause you've got my interest."

Then, on the 17th of October, she came in again. She had asked me what my favourite drink is a few days ago, and I had answered with monster energy drinks. She had smiled and taken her coffee from me, her eyes devious and suspicious.

Anyways on that day, she came up to me to order.

"Can I have one monster energy drink for Janis please." She asked, a smile and blush creeping onto her face. I looked at her confused before she added: "unless you'd like me to buy you a drink properly instead?"

I burst out laughing and nodded. Her smile widened and she passed a slip of paper across the counter. It had her number and the words 'the usual' written on it. I like this girl already.

I SAID I'D NEVER DO A COFFEE AU THEY'RE SO CLICHE BUT I COULDN'T HELP MYSELF

Also hi I'm alive still :)

Published 14th August 2020
Word Count = 541