Kaise Hua

Suman held Shravan's hand and said, "Go Dev...the country needs you". Shravan turned her around and Suman gave him a smile. She gently poked his ribs to cue him to say the final line.

Suman grew confused as the dazed Shravan looked deeply into her eyes and gently kissed her hand. This wasn't part of the scene. He sighed, "I will always come back to you because I love you, Sumo". Suman's eyes widened hearing Shravan say her name instead of Heer. Gasps and murmurs were heard throughout the audience. Hearing the loud whispers and seeing Suman's shocked face, Shravan realized what he said and quickly corrected himself but the damage had been done.

After the play, Suman quickly left and Shravan didn't have a chance to explain himself. She wasn't even picking up his calls in the evening. Suman experienced mixed feelings. Why did he say her name? Suddenly, Suman heard something near her window. She turned around to see that Shravan had climbed into her room. Seeing her angry expression, Shravan stuttered that he came here because he wanted to talk to her and she wasn't picking up his calls. After an awkward silence, Suman asked, "Why did you say that?"

Shravan looked away and murmured, "Sorry...It slipped out by accident".

Suman held Shravan's face and made him look at her. "You're lying. You are a good liar but I know your eyes don't lie, Shravan".

Shravan nodded, "Yes, you're right. I don't know when or how...but I'm in love with you, Sumo". Suman stood there stunned hearing his confession. Shravan held her hand but let go when she flinched. He sighed, "I promise I won't let my feelings get in the way of our friendship. You don't need to feel the same way about me".

Suman looked away and absorbed in what Shravan had kept inside him. She whispered, "I...need time". Shravan bit his lip trying to hide his sadness and started to leave. Suman called after him and asked, "Shravan, did your friendship have any ulterior motive?"

Shravan smiled, "No, I don't need anything besides your friendship". He turned to leave but Suman stopped him again.

She surprised him by placing a soft peck on his cheek and said, "This is a new start for us, Shravan. I was waiting for the perfect moment to tell you that I love you too". 

Note: This drabble was written for the Spellwork Drabble Contest on the Ek Duje Ke Vaaste 2 Forum from IndiaForums