05.

A WAVE OF JOY WASHED OVER DAWN WHEN "CHOIR" PRACTICE SUBSIDED WITH MS

A WAVE OF JOY WASHED OVER DAWN WHEN "CHOIR" PRACTICE SUBSIDED WITH MS. NELL AT COAL CREEK BAPTIST CHURCH. Dawn had to gather a few things before she met Arvin, who was on his way. He hadn't honked his horn yet, but Dawn knew he couldn't have been far. The pair were inseparable and made her grandmother worry beyond her years about what the girl was doing with the boy known for his temper. She heard the church's back door open, and she turned around to come face to face with the young preacher that the clergy welcomed to the church only a few days ago. He had a sly smile on his face looking over at the girl.

"May I say, the Lord has given you a gift, my dear child." His voice made her uneasy, and she knew there was something about him. Especially after the stunt, he pulled with Emma after she slaved away, making the chicken livers that were the best thing Dawn had, surprisingly, ever had.

She pressed her lips together as she continued gathering her things, this time facing him. "Thank you, sir."

He starts walking closer to her. Dawn began to gather her things a little faster. "Do you have to be anywhere anytime soon? Perhaps we could go on a ride?"

"I-"

He cut her off, "Or we can stay here. It seems as though another storm might be blowing in, and I wouldn't want for you to have to walk in the rain." He was now awfully close to her. He put his hand on her lower back, making her tense up, "I don't think the lord would want something so angelic to be put in harm's way, right?"

Dawn was terrified. She had no idea why but the pit of her stomach dropped so fast it reminded her of a roller coaster ride but one that didn't have an end. She didn't know why but she felt helpless. Was that the word? "No, sir."

You may be wondering what happened to the headstrong girl that has a fiery attitude within her. Right now, she was gone. Too many memories of moments like these from her childhood flooded her mind and made her lip quiver at just the thought, from her grade school principal to her old church's preacher. These things seem to follow dawn like a snake with its prey. Ready to pounce at any moment to have her suffer once again. It was like God wanted her to live through the pain of wondering if she could trust any man in this world.

He made her turn towards him, "Do you have anything you need to confess? Any worry's that have been laying hard on your heart?"

"I do not, Preacher." She had a small amount of courage through her as she stepped back from him. She was gripping the handle of her guitar case tighter.

"Are you sure? Everyone has something heavy they need to confess. Sin is what makes us human. But you can't create these delusions that you have done nothing wrong."