prologue

1963

*assault warning, its nothing major but i felt the need to warn my readers before hand

THE HEAT OF THE SUN BAKED THE CALICHE ROAD THAT LEFT DUST ON DAWNS RED AND WHITE SNEAKERS AS SHE WALKED DOWN THE PATH THAT NEVER SEEMED TO END. The road was in the middle of a flat field that was now growing cotton but in its earlier stages of the plant leaving a sea of green as far as the eye can see making the dirt field look more like a prairie with a forest of trees huddle around it. Sweat glazed her forehead causing her bangs to stick against it ever which way. The girl began to become irritated having to wipe the droplets every thirty seconds making it seem out of habit to prevent the salty liquid from stinging her eyes.

The weather was the least of her worries at the moment she was already late to meet her grandmother for her afternoon bible lesson, but it didn't bother Dawn. The older woman asked her to walk to the general store at the end of their two and a half-mile road to grab them some baking soda and a half-pound of salt. The young girl was thankful the younger boy working at the register bagged her items twice otherwise she would probably have to do another errand because her hands were so damp she had to switch the brown bag from one hand to the other to prevent the material from soaking up the sweat that rested on her skin.

She congratulated herself for deciding to wear a dress today because it was the only thing that was keeping her cool at the moment. The fabric brushed just an over the knee and flapped as she continued to walk. Her eyes searched the bright blue sky that had very little clouds scattered about it making even the shadiest spot seem too hot.

There was an intersection coming up that was connected to a poorly paved road that Dawn had not had the chance to explore. The road was hardly driven on and disappeared into the forest at the far end of the field. It was usually used by the residents that lived close to her grandmother and the occasional cop car.

Dawn loved visiting her grandmother. The country was a breath of fresh air compared to her parent's apartment in Memphis, Tennessee. She didn't love the hot humidity though. That was definitely something she could live without. Though this visit was a little too long for Dawn's taste.

The sound of an engine in the faint distance could be heard as she stopped at the end of the field looking over to see a rusted chevy driving up the road. It wasn't going very fast, at least 40 mph, and had a boy driving it. He made eye contact with her making Dawn's heart stop. Even though it was for a split second she managed to take a picture of his face. The thing that stood out the most was the shiner that was forming below his eye that could have easily been unnoticeable due to the shadow that his cap cast over his face. He had a girl sitting next to her but Dawn didn't pay much attention to what she was doing. Her eyes followed the car as it went by and she followed it with her eyes watching him turn into the road right before the trees.

After her in counter with the boy, if you would even call looking at someone an interaction, the walk home was almost a blur as she rushed down the road to her grandmother's house coming inside out of breath and face glazed in sweat. She closed the door behind her quickly breathing heavily and sweat more than she was before.