What You Didn't Know

"Hello Father." said Legolas, with a very displeased expression upon his face.

"Legolas." Thranduil said, bowing his head.

You stood there silently between them waiting for the yelling to start, only it didn't. Thranduil turned his attention from Legolas to you, and Legolas watched the two of you closely.

"Do you have any idea how moronic it was for you to just leave like that? You could have been killed. You are lucky you weren't." Thranduil's voice was strong and in that moment he made you feel very small. You knew he was right. It was stupid for you to leave without at least taking one of the soldiers with you, but you wanted to be alone.

"I'm sorry..." You said quietly, avoiding Thranduil's intense gaze.

"Sorry? You could have at least taken someone with you. You could have told me and I could have sent a few soldiers to follow you. You didn't have to just leave." He said, his voice softened as he placed an arm around you and pulled you close to him. You could see the relief in his eyes, and you had completely forgotten that Legolas was a mere few feet away.

"My wife and my father." Legolas hissed, making you jump and Thranduil stepped away from you and turned back towards his son.

"You are the one that left." Thranduil said.

"You and I both know that you felt something for her well before I was even out of the picture." Legolas threw back.

Thranduil's face showed a brief flash of some emotion you didn't quite catch, before he resumed his stoney expression.

"Oh she didn't know about that did she?" Legolas tilted his head to the side and watched Thranduil closely.

"What are you talking about?" You asked, feeling like you were missing something extremely important.

"I used to catch him watching you. He has had feelings for you way longer than he has let on." Legolas said, still staring at his father.

"What do you mean he watched me?" You asked Legolas, ignoring Thranduil's expression.

"He would watch you while you played with our son or while you were doing some task. He was always careful to make sure you never caught him, but he wasn't careful enough. He has been in love with you for some time now. He was probably happy when I was out of the picture." Legolas spit.

Your heart started pounding, Legolas was just being cruel right now, but his words sunk deep into your mind.

"You just could not stand that she was mine." Legolas said, taking a step towards Thranduil, His face was full of rage.

"Legolas, stop. I get that you are furious with us, but do not put all of this on him." You said, moving closer to Thranduil.

"I am the one that made the choice to be with him." You said.

"You used to think he was a monster. How could you ever love him?" said Legolas, pain in his eyes.

"I got to know him, and I saw that he isn't as cold as he would lead people to believe. He can be kind and gentle and caring. That is how I can love him." You said, as you tried to hold back tears.

"He threatened to kill you. He ran us out of our home because he didn't want us to be together." Legolas stepped towards you.

"That was a really long time ago and none of us are the same as we were then." You said. "I hate that I am hurting you. It was never intended, but my heart lies with him and it would not be fair of me to deny that. I do still love you Legolas, and part of me always will, but I do not love you in the way I used to." You added.
(To be continued)