Chapter 2- Tsinghua University

"...Sharing my fragile truth
That I still hope the door is open.."

~

You groan as you rub your temples. Shaking your head, you look at Liu Mei.

"I can't believe you made us late...again," You say with narrowed eyes directed at Liu Mei, who gestures towards the road.

"I don't control traffic, do you want me to drive over the cars?" Liu Mei states in frustration. You give her a blank look.

"Yes," her mouth makes an 'o' shape as she glances at you.

"Of course not," she sighs in relief that you aren't serious. You lean back on the passenger seat closing your eyes to relax.

"So you're almost twenty-one, and you will be a step closer to finding your soulmate," you hear the excitement in Liu Mei's voice. You open your eyes and sigh.

"I have six months, you and Dylan should worry about your soulmates," you tell her. She gasps.

"Oh come on Yunru, it's so romantic to know that out there a soulmate awaits you and is made just for you alone," you see her shiver in ecstasy. Rolling your eyes, you grab a chocolate bar from your pocket.

"What's the hype about soulmates anyway? It sounds like stress," she clicks her tongue at your confusion. You take a bite of your chocolate bar.

"With that attitude, you will become a member of the Tarnished," she narrows her eyes while looking at the road.

"Now that would be a dream come true," you smile dreamily at the thought of being free from having your soulmate chosen for you. Liu Mei waves you off.

"I wonder what my mark would be, I hope it would be a tiara with my initials and his would be a crown with his...that would be so cute!" She squeals with delight.

"Or what if  your mark is a butt and he is a monkey, and once you put them together it is a monkey's butt?" There is silence in the car for a while, and you both burst out laughing.

"Only you would say something like that," Liu Mei rolls her eyes, smiling.

~

Once entering the campus grounds, Liu Mei grabs a parking spot where you notice Dylan, your other best friend, waiting for your arrival.