Chapter Five: PSA just because I am a female does not mean I am yours to touch

Since lessons had ended in early June I had been able to hang around the newsies more.

I would meet them at the circulation gate each morning and then sometimes go with Tommy Boy or Race well they sold.

Some days I would go down to central park and meet Spot.
We would wander around the city, trying new things and sitting around in Brooklyn.

"Heya Sights!"
"Hey boys."

I joined them as we started for the gate.
Everyone gathered around the gate and I stood back as I heard footsteps on the other side.

"Oh deary me what is that unpleasant aroma? I fear the sewers may have backed up in the night." Race said as the chain on the gate was being unlocked.

"Nah to rotten to be the sewers." Boots chimed in.

"Then it must be...." Crutchie began.

"The Delancey brothers!" We all yelled.

The gate swung open and the brothers stepped through.

"Back of the line shrimp." Morris threw someone to the ground at the back of the group next to me, I suspected Sniper.

Tommy Boy who had been walking with me quickly helped him up as Jack started at Morris.

"You shouldn't be callin people shrimps morris. Unless youse referin to da family resemblance in ya brother here."

"5 ta 1 Jack sukunks 'em. Who bets?" Race called.

"Yeah dat was an insult. So's this."

It sounded like a scuffle and then someone, I assumed Jack took off running.

"Jack stole Morris's hat an' took off runnin." Tommy Boy said quietly, ever the narrator for me in these situations.

"Thanks."
"Oh 'e bumped inta someone."

Tommy Boy's arm jerked off my shoulder as Oscar pushed his way next to me.

"Whats the matter Natalia? Can't you see whats happening for yourself."

I shoved him away with my cane "Go away Oscar."

"Why Natalia? Don't you like me?"

"Oscar back off!" Tommy Boy yelled shoving him away from me.

"Can't she tell me no herself?" Oscar said, grabbing me by the waist.

Blue placed himself between us and growled.
"In case your brain is the size of a pea. Wait no, your brain is the size of a pea. I already told you to go away. So back off!" I put my cane agaist his chest and shoved him.

Eventually he left me alone and we all made it through the gate. I sat down on the wagon and waited for the boys to buy there papes.

"Hiya Weasel, ya miss me?" Jack asked.

"It's Wisel."

"Ain't dat what I said? I'll take da usual."

"Hundred papes for da wise guy."

Jack grabbed his papes and wandered away.

"How's it goin Weasel?" Race said snarkily.
"At least call me mister."

"While I'll call ya sweetheart if ya spot me fifty papes."

"Drop the cash and move on." Mr. Wisel said angrily.
"What ever happened to romance?"

Race grabbed his papes and came to sit next to me.

"Hows the headline?"

"Horrible, 'trolley strike drags into third week' there killin us wit dis."