Chapter 17: WE WON

"Do you think this is gonna work?" I asked after we had finished passing out the papers.

Spot sighed "It better. Otherwise ise goin straight ta Pulitzers office myself an bustin some heads."

"Oh yeah, that'll definitely get him to bring the price back." I said sarcastically.
"Well it would work betta dan havin every kid in the city sitting in a square."

"We don't even know if it's gonna work, we might not even get all the kids or hell any of the kids."
His shoulder bumped against mine "Hey, it'll work, have faith."

"It could literally be just the newsies in the square when we get there Spottie."
"Some  a dose kids definitely seemed interested. Like that one kid, dat I had ta read da paper to. Did ya see the look on 'is face?"

"Oh ghee yeah I did."
"Lia..."

I didn't answer, just leaned into him a little more as we walked.
"We're almost there." He muttered as we turned another corner.

As we turned into the square I could hear a relatively large crowd gathered.
"See, What did I tell ya? What did I tell ya?"
I sighed "Yeah, Yeah, whatever."

We manuvard through the crowd until we found some of the other newsies.
"Heya Spot, Sights. Can ya believe Jacks plan actually worked?" Race greeted.

"Well, someone had dere doubts." Spot said elbowing me a little.
"Shut up." I said elbowing him back.

We all stood around as the square became more crowded and loud.

It became hard to focus on any one voice because of all the noise, and people kept bumping into me because they expected me to move when they walked past.

Another person bumped into me and I tightened my grip on Blue's harness.

I felt Spot squeeze my hand and leaned a little closer "You okay?"
"Just not good in crowds, remember."

"Hey, ise right 'ere, okay?"
I nodded and he went back to talking with Race and Jo-Jo.

"Hey Jackie Boy! Bout time you showed up!" Spot called as someone walked up.

"Yeah yeah whateva....."
I could tell the conversation continued but somewhere to the side of us people started chanting again.

Spot took a step away from me and then tugged lightly on my hand when I didn't follow.
"Come on it's time fer Jackie Boys meetin wit Pulitzer."

We made our way through the crowd, hands still intertwined till we made it to the world Buildings doors.

"Scuse me sirs." I could hear Jack fighting his way in.
Spot held in a laugh as we followed closely behind.

Davie sighed and muttered "Sometimes I wonder about him."
When we got inside a bunch of people started telling us to leave.  "Mr. Pulitzers office should be upstairs at the end of the main hall." I announced.

Jack took off running up the stairs.
"All of you need to leave right now!" Someone called.

Oh I know that one.
Whats his name?
"Oh I'm sorry Mr. Busen, I was just looking for Katie and my friend there just got carried away they're uh... they're really close you see and he hasn't..... Uh he hasn't seen her in a few days." I said quickly, coming up with a lie.

"Ah, Miss. Falto. I'm afraid Katherine is most definitely not here today, so if you'd so kindly head out."

"Well, we'll just head up and get Jack and then be on our way." I smiled and let go of Spot's hand to fiddle with a piece of my hair.